Loading tones/files from USB onto roland XP60 keyboard - begineer please help!!

HirenRS

Hi Everyone,

I am just trying to help my dad here, we are trying to load tones from a USB, in the correct .svd format, I have checked this already, every time we copy the files on a USB stick and insert it into the keyboard I get a error message 'disk not ready'

I have tried multiple USB sticks and also ensured a format before loading tones onto the keyboard.

The original floppy slot was changed out by the previous owner, to accept the USB - USB module.

the module powers up as it should and also provides power to the USB i know this because i can see the flash drives light up on insertion.

we are a little lost on this !

Hoping for some help/guidance or another way to do it.

Is there another way in, if i have issues reading through the USB module?

Is it as simple as a driver or something missing?

I can provide images, info what ever is needed i am really desperate for this as my dad is set to play in New orleans next month and needs to get his prep work done using the tones that we cant seem to load!

Many thanks in advance,

Hiren Varsani

Hi Everyone,

I am just trying to help my dad here, we are trying to load tones from a USB, in the correct .svd format, I have checked this already, every time we copy the files on a USB stick and insert it into the keyboard I get a error message 'disk not ready'

I have tried multiple USB sticks and also ensured a format before loading tones onto the keyboard.

The original floppy slot was changed out by the previous owner, to accept the USB - USB module.

the module powers up as it should and also provides power to the USB i know this because i can see the flash drives light up on insertion.

we are a little lost on this !

Hoping for some help/guidance or another way to do it.

Is there another way in, if i have issues reading through the USB module?

Is it as simple as a driver or something missing?

I can provide images, info what ever is needed i am really desperate for this as my dad is set to play in New orleans next month and needs to get his prep work done using the tones that we cant seem to load!

Many thanks in advance,

Hiren Varsani

There's a kind of crazy part to this question..You mention that a previous owner converted it to USB? That raises a flag to me. I don't know what kind of flag, but, I would research what file format it wanted to see with those old diskettes.... If you try to use a flash drive formatted for NTFS, or ExFat or even FAT32, It just might not be able to read it. So, you're going to have to do a little legwork there - either find a disk for that keyboard and analyze it, or look in the manual, or just ask around. It could be as easy as finding out what kind of disk size it used... 3.5" or 5.25" - and finding out what were the popular formats for them.

There's a kind of crazy part to this question..You mention that a previous owner converted it to USB? That raises a flag to me. I don't know what kind of flag, but, I would research what file format it wanted to see with those old diskettes.... If you try to use a flash drive formatted for NTFS, or ExFat or even FAT32, It just might not be able to read it. So, you're going to have to do a little legwork there - either find a disk for that keyboard and analyze it, or look in the manual, or just ask around. It could be as easy as finding out what kind of disk size it used... 3.5" or 5.25" - and finding out what were the popular formats for them.

Thanks for the reply, raises a flag yes agreed, but its a common conversion using a mass produced usb emulator, a lot of machines which had floppy seem to also be able to convert to USB,

My problem more specifically relates to how to I guess, has anyone done this conversion on a roland XP60, are there any other installations required like drivers?

Also I might be barking up the wrong tree totally, does anyone have a proven file they can send me which the xp60 was able to load off a USB?

This would make good headway in identifying issues through elimination as I don't have the full history.
eBay for you!

Thanks

Back