Hello, all! And a question.......

Hi, my name is Dan. I'm a new guy here and am new to this level of recording. I did some tape stuff about 10 years ago on 4 tracks and in a recording class on a 16 track reel-to-reel, and that was all easy compared to this :) I'm 33 years old, I'm studying bass guitar, and I have a newly acquired VS880, the V-Expanded one from a year ago or so that does not have the FX board in it.

This brings me to my question, and please bear with me, because I have a feeling this is a stupid question: is the VS8F2 fx board compatible with the VS880, or is it only compatible with the newer, bigger units, like the 1680? I just want to be certain before I pop for one, and I couldn't scrounge an answer from Roland's site. It seems to me it would be compatible, since the VS8F1 doesn't seem to be around anymore, but I want to be sure. Thanks!

For dedicated technical advise I would call Roland on one of their free numbers.
Their service is very good, as many users will agree.
I couldn' give better advise, because I don't know for sure. I think that the VS880EX has the same FX-effect boards on board as an upgraded VS880 Expanded.
When you're machine is upgraded is is almost the same as an 880EX.

Dan, definitely NOT a stupid question! My experience is the technology is usually a lot stupider than we are. Just that fact that we constantly need to be concerned about compatibilities and obsolesence, not only among but within brands, tells me there is something very stupid going on out there. Let's not blame ourselves!

Thanks for the guidance, Hano, and the counsel, Tapehead :) I finally contacted Roland; they said no can do on that compatibility. The only FX board that will work in the vs880 is indeed the VS8F1, which is no longer made. The good news is that I found a brand new one in a box at Strings n' Things in TN. Woohoo! Back in business ladies and gents!

Still, this IS a VS880, so you all will be hearing from me frequently in the coming months, I'm sure...

Back