BR1600 drum machine v external drum machine

huntsman64

I find the internal drum machine in my Boss BR1600 a bit limiting and fiddly. I've never used an external one but my question is whether an external one is significantly more versatile and if so any recommendations?

Many thanks

huntsman64 said:
I find the internal drum machine in my Boss BR1600 a bit limiting and fiddly. I've never used an external one but my question is whether an external one is significantly more versatile and if so any recommendations?

Many thanks

^BUMP^

Cmon fellas...no-one here uses external drums??? I'm looking at purchasing the BOSS 1600 so I would also like to know what's working for you...thanks

PK

I use the internal drum machine and get some pretty decent results. I don't think I'm fooling anybody (though some of the stock Loop Phrase patterns are really natural sounding)

Actually, I've been experimenting with layering Loop Phrase drums with the drum sequences and sometimes I can come up with a really deep sounding, natural drum pattern.

not sure but I'm guessing that the BR1600 is similar to the bR1180's drum kit. I find it VERY limiting although I would say that I definitely haven't mastered it. It's frustrating having to fiddle around so much just to figure stuff out cause the manual doesn't help. Maybe one of you guys can help me because right now after 2 years, I'm ready to give up and move to a PC based multi-track. The only thing is....I love the sound quality of the BR units...I've used external drum machines back when I had a four track and I'd say its better because they will give you a wider range of sounds to choose from depending on which unit you get. Another thing while I'm here...is the BR 1600 a true 16 track? or can you just record more tracks simultaneously?..

TMatt142 said:
Another thing while I'm here...is the BR 1600 a true 16 track? or can you just record more tracks simultaneously?..

8 tracks at a time of simultaneous recording. 16 tracks of audio total per mix. (Though realistically you'd have to take away 2 for the stereo bounce track)

Drums

I gave up on internal drums...I use V drums plugged directly into my BR 1180, it took me a while to get a good sound once my recordings were finished but now that I've overcomed all the smalls frustrating moments I'm really pleased with the results I'm getting.

I followed Dumby's route and bought the Roland TD-3 v-drum kit to plug directly into the 1600. There was only one major draw-back with my decision to go that way-- I forgot that I'm not a real good drummer! I do okay but it obviously limits the drum tracks for my tunes.

I've used the internal drums on the 1600 for a few songs and I have to say if you put in the effort to go through the somewhat tedious process; the final results are fairly impressive. It just lacks the intuitive, creative feel and forces you to be calculating and precise. I hate that. It probably gets easier the more you work with it.

Dumby-- Do you plug direct from the td-3 or are you using midi? I've tried the midi route with my laptop and other software and have just about given up on that because of a multi-tude of setbacks and hassles. My one attempt at direct in so far was okay but the mix and sound capabilities are limited. Is that your experience or have you overcome these issues? Thanks. --NV

Levels and settings

Yes I go direct. I use a mic patch. Make sure:
the enhancer is on,
comp/limiter on,noisesuppressor on.....
.Delay and other crap turned off. (you will find this stuff in the edit chain)
THe ambiance button off...Play with the settings from there and pick a kit you like in the TD-3....Also, keep the sensitivity up, and the master input level down no your board...
The volume on the TD3 brain should be full blast...
I have no distortion or any problems this way and my friends that have heard it can't beliece how good they sound...LeI know if I can help....Good luck

P.S. Before you record, get a friend to pound on your drums and actually read the readings for the input level...Most people that ignore and neglect this area usually can't make their sound work!

I tried this out this weekend but found I could not replicate your setting suggestions without major distortion. I had to turn the input sensitivity down quite a bit (less than mid-way) to keep it from distorting. I did manage to get a decent track out of it once I adjusted. It may just be the difference in the 1180 and the 1600 (as far as the level adjustments and sensitivity). Not sure.

BTW- I didn't have anyone to bang on my kit for me, so I just had it run in demo mode while I set the recording levels.

My TD3 Level settings

Master input sensivity on my BR is set to one bar above 9 o'clock,
sens on the mic is set around 3 o'clock...
Brain is all the way up. I use mic PO1 off the BR1180. That's about it. Dude, you should be ok from there. Most of the levels inside the brain are very low because I use a double kick...so that's max out at because it doesn't hit the sensor in the middle and the cymbals and the rest hang around 7 or 8(where you hit the level button of the face of your TD3...
mike
P.S. I find that over pounding on the drums makes the compressor kick in in a really obvious manner making the drums obviously fake. Try not to get carried away!

Last edited:
I'll check my td-3 settings to see if perhaps those levels are higher than yours, causing it to peak.

Also, are you running just one cable from the mono out of the brain into your 1180, or stereo out with two cables?

Pea

One cable out of the TD3 (left mono) and I record directly onto two tracks, one all the way to the left and one all the way to the right.
P.S. I edited the post above

Last edited:
Back