BR-8, yea or nea

PILSMAN

I've been reading the messages back and forth from some of the br-8 owners. Now that you've all had a little time with the machine, please let me know, is it all that, or just so-so.

How have you all been getting around the limited recording time, and how does the bass simulation sound? Thanks in advance.

Bass simulator sucks. Try using another effect and changing the octave (-12) that seems to work
G'luck

From reading the posts here most musicians fall into categories, those who to record their band and those who want to make demos. If you want to record your band the BR-8 is not for you but if you are a guitarist and want a great machine (IMHO) for composing songs and making demos than the BR-8 is a great buy.

The bass sim works great, again IMHO, you may need to 'tweak' the patch, depending on the type of guitar you play and your picking style. The few people that let hear my 'demo' can't belive that all the tracks are done my me alone. The bass sounds that real. Watch your EQ and add a small amount of chrous to the bass sum.

I don't own a bass but using the BR-8's bass sim has really given me an insight on creating bass lines. I have a band and usually take my songs to the band. I let my bassist create his own bass lines. Now I can let him hear what I have in mind, I'm not trying to control him but let him hear what I had in mind, sometimes changing the bass groove can really impove a song.

BOSS using 3 compression modes for recording, the compression values can be changed to increase recording time. By using the ZIP disks, you can save your songs so that you can go back to them for more editing. 100MB ZIP disks are selling really cheap on Ebay because people are upgrading to 250MB ZIP. I just won a bid for a 10 pack for $45 :).

One last word, you'll want a good drum machine, the rhythm guide on the BR-8 is just what it is a guide and please read the whole manual!!

[This message has been edited by 72fender (edited 05-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by 72fender (edited 05-14-2000).]

Thanks all, I just want a work-station/writing tool to help me get some of the sounds(not voices) in my head recorded as cheaply and with the best sound possible. Sounds like the br-8 may be for me. Sounds like some mixed reviews on the bass sounds though. Question!

Can I plug my guitar straight into the br-8 without an amp?

Pilsman- I've been keeping an eye on this topic as well. I've decided to wait until the BR-8 comes equipped with a 250 or higher zip before I buy one. If Roland's paying any attention, my guess is that day won't be long from now. With all the features it boasts, it seems to me that Boss dropped the ball in the endzone by using the 100 mb disc. The day a newer, upgraded model is released, I'll be there with check in hand...

Yes, you can plug right in and start recording. The BR-8 has ROLAND's CMOS guitar and amp built into it. There are 50 presets that and they all can be tweaked.

Are the amp modelings comparable to lets say the POD? What amp choices do they give you? Also, how does the reverb sound?

Thanks

Umm, I haven't played thru a POD in awhile but Boss did use the same amp mods as in their GT-3 (I think). What you should do, if you can, is 'play' a BR-8 at the local music store, take your guitar and go thru all the amp mods. They are tweakable, I don't know if a store would let you do that on their BR-8 demo machine.

I think the 'verb sound great, in fact I played a song on a stereo at Best Buy to check the mix. This guy asked me who playing that song, I told him it was me, he didn't believe me until I took the tape and showed him. He still didn't believe until I popped the tape back in and went to the end of the where the drum machine was still playing!

72Fender,

Hey, man. Not meaning to be critical, but think you meant to type COSM (Composite Object Sound Modeling) instead of CSOM.

Glad to hear from someone using this piece of gear. Now I know where to go if I have any questions about it.

You using anything else to track, or pretty much using this for laying down demos? Let me know.

My best to you ~ NattyB

No problem with the mis-type ;0. I only use the BR-8 to create i.e to 'flesh' out song ideals. I take the mixes to the band to give them an ideal of how I want a song played. I don't want to record the band or send demos out, just to create songs. I find that saving the songs to the ZIP disk allows me to go back to a song and maybe change the tempo, lead breaks, etc, etc. You can change the record compression to get more recording time, I rarely use all 8 tracks

[This message has been edited by 72fender (edited 06-04-2000).]

Back