br-8 compressor/equalizer

gitrokr

for recording drums and vocals...is the compressor and equalizer on the br-8 okay? i dont need every little detail but on drums i would like a nice snappy snare, a big kick and nice clean not trash canny cymbals...on the vocals im looking for a nice smooth tone...with out any really high or loud spots (where a compressor would come into play) please give me hints, tips, and suggestions...or what gear you use thanks alot

First thing, the BR-8 wasn't designed for 'live' but this doesn't mean that you can't try. I used four mics on our drummer's drums (snare, overhead, kick & tom) that was sub-mixed on a stereo Mackie mixer to two tracks, because you can only record 2 tracks simultaneously on the BR-8. The mixer also gives you chance to better EQ the drum mix. The snare & overhead were panned to 10:00 and the kick & tom panned to 2:00. You could insert a compressor box in the signal chain too.

I used a stereo RCA y-patch that had males on both ends, one pair of males to the mixer 'left & right-out' to the BR-8's 'left & right-in'. Punch the SIMU button on the BR-8 and make sure that the effects are turned OFF. When you press the SIMU button the effects button wil light-up, look in the info window and press the down cursor to Bypass and press the YES/ENTER button, the Effects button should be dark. Have the drummer play and tweak in the input levels, you may have to move your mics around to find that 'sweet' spot for mic placment.

You want to consider converting the BR-8's 100mb zip to a 250mb if you haven't done so. On the song we recorded I first recorded all the guitar/bass/vocal and keyboard parts along with a DR-5 drum machine. My drummer used the DR-5 as a click track, I recorded his drums on another set of V-tracks. This is were the extra recording time of the 250mb made things easier. I had the bass player record his track and than erased my original bass and the DR-5 tracks. I re-recorded one guitar part to match my drummer's more naturel playing.

Back