Boss RC-50 looper

junplugged

Taking the slow road
Just came out. Looks pretty nice, maybe overkill, but a lot of features I've been thinking about for a long time. 7 pedals, I think it's expensive tho.

I have the RC-20 and the JamMan from DigiTech. Big difference between those 2, 10 loops v. 99. and JamMan uses CF and USB, not sure if RC-50 uses CF or can be expanded.

I believe the RC-50 uses internal memory but the upshot is it has 50 something minutes worth, plus it has a USB connection to back up loops. Does anyone know the official release date?!

USB is nice, hopefully it might work with win98, at least with a driver.... I'm a sucker for hardware loopers, i'll have to start saving now.... I still have my rc-20 even tho i have the jamman....

wondering if the acctual sound quality was better than the rc20xl..which for me sounded muffled.

this rc-50 is aimed at stage performance but should be good for studio use ....especially in the field of spotaneous song creation. nested loops, stereo and midi are the killer features.

I just bought one of the RC-20XL's today and love this thing.

I was inspired to buy one after seeing a band called "Electropolis".
They used two of these one for the Sax player and one for the Trumpet player. OH Yeah!

They ran their horns through effects and processors and mixers.
Crazy as HELL!

Laters

-Blaze

Acutally useful?

Who really uses this thing on a regular basis? Just curious and maybe I misunderstand it's purpose. I just watched the demo...I don't get it. Thanks

Last edited:
I have the RC20XL as well, and LOVE it. It has helped me tremendously in practicing guitar leads etc. You simply play a rhythm guitar track, stomping the pedal at the beginning and end of the loop, then it just plays it over and over while you work out lead parts over the top of it. It is an awesome tool for that. It would take a bit to get good enough at the pedal timing to use it live on stage, but I've seen it done and it's really cool. You could also use it live for vocal harmonies etc. Say the first time through a chorus, you stomp the pedal and record the chorus loop. Next time through the chorus, stomp the pedal and it'll play what you sang the first time, and you can sing the harmony instead. A very cool little gadget!

sp

the rc-20 is a little tricky for seamless looping, but if you get close enough on the end point it's fine, the major problem is keeping the time to the millisecond. the blinking light helps, but isn't enough. the rhythm guide is great, but the main problem with the rhythm guide click and the same problem with the JamMan is that you can't adjust it with a pedal or remotely.

so you have to be stuck with this crappy click that totally screws up the whole purpose of making music in the first place, and totally screws up the reason to have pedals...

I didn't see any feature on the rc-50 to show me that this isn't also the case on that $500 piece of gear.

It's maddening to think the designers thought it was ok to omit the #1 way to judge the loop end point by not being able to control the sound of the click, just plain stupid.

I believe you CAN change the sound of the click on the XL. But it still SUCKS as you described. Also, the RC-20 and 20XL aren't MIDI capable, which would be a HUGE benefit too. You could lay down loops, then sync them with a recorder (I have the BR1600). At any rate, for what I use it for, I love it. I'm a LONG way from being able to use it for recording or live performance, for all the same reasons you mentioned.

sp

Back