Boss Metal Zone and the BR8

s8n

Hi guy's,

I don't like any of the on-board distortion that the BR8 has. I use a Boss Metal Zone pedal which produces the sort of distortion I like (sort of Metallica-ish). Any suggestions on how to record diret with the pedal and have a decent sound. I'm trying to capture the the type of distortion Metallica used on ride the lightning.

I've tried micing my amp and I've tried recording direct w/the pedal. Both sound like shit.

Any tip's???????

First, do you like the sound you get with the pedal through your amp (what you hear)?

If yes, then what mic are you using? and how are you using it? you should be able to get the same sound you hear with a mic.

If no, then try using the output of your metalzone into a guitar DI (like a sansamp)(you might also be able to use the line out of your amp) into your BR8.

I would try the first method first, its cheaper. All the info you need on guitar micing you can find in the microphone forum. Also tell me more about your setup. What amp and guitar you have ect.

omnipotent

Omnipotent,

Thanx for the reply.

I have a Gibson SG running thru a Crate half stack (the model eludes me right now). I'm using a Shure 58 to mic the amp. Right now thats the best mic I have. I'm recording in a well carpeted room that for the most part does not reflect a lot of sound.

I've tried several different mic configureations...up close, few inches away etc.....

During play back from the recording it seems to have a lot of high end transcient noise only on parts where I'm using distortion. Clean tones come out great. I have tried to reduced the treble on my pedal but this just creates sort of a flat sound.

I've read that large stage type amps are not the best to record with. Do you think I would get better tone from a small practice amp with high gain and just take the pedal out of the loop?.

Thanx for your responses. I will try your suggestions.

In regards to tweaking the parameters of the BR8 patches how is this done?...

If I record with a smaller amp with high gain will this make a difference?. I know it will have a different sound but is this something that is common.

To tweak a effect patch:
1) Press effects button and select the patch effect closest to the effect you want.

2) Press the CURSOR down button to EDIT.

3) Use the CURSOR right button to select the effect you want to modify and than press ENTER.

4) Use the TIME/VALUE dial to modify the effects parameters.

For example changing the P.AMP (pre amp) effect you'll scroll thru different amp heads, i.e. MS is Marshell Stack, ms is a Marshell using both guitar inputs, MATCH is a MATCHLESS amp model. All the effects can be modified this way and saved as a user patch. I've spent hours just doing this!

72 Fender

Thanx for the tip man. This has made a big difference. I was able to tweak to distortion so that it sounds just about right. Thanx a lot.

Be cool...............

Back