Yamaha Midi Controller Piano Sound Coming Through Superior Drummer Track

CaseyCayce

I'm using a Yamaha CP40 as my Midi controller for a drum instrument track using the Superior Drummer plugin. I've got the Yamaha keyboard triggering the kit instruments, working effectively in that regard as it should, but am also getting the piano note of the key triggering the kit component. If middle C on my keyboard triggers the hi-hat, I get the hi-hat sound plus the middle C note from the piano. Here are some critical diagnostic points:

• The track is a stereo Instrument track (not a Midi track).
• The instrument track in Pro Tools is soloed, so the piano note is coming through with the midi signal to that track.
• There is a single plugin on that track: Superior Drummer.
• The drum instrument track has no input assigned (as I'm assuming it should be set).
• I get the same results with both the USB Midi out on the keyboard to Mac, or with a Midi in/out to USB interface (M-Audio UM-1).
• None of the piano controls—volume, voicing, etc—effect the piano sounds accompanying the drum sounds.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Cayce

Last edited:
You have the piano MIDI input connected? The local off spantini suggests should cure it, or of course if you're not using the piano sound, just turn down it's volume. The local off is more elegant - BUT - be aware that if you wish to use the piano sound, then you either have to turn it on again, or make sure your computer always sends back what comes in to the MIDI output to the keyboard, or it won't work.

Thanks for your help with this, Spantini & Rob.

I tried lowering the volume all the way down but it had no effect. Neither did turning off the LocalSW, but maybe not saving the setting caused it to not take effect. After exploring further, though, I discovered there are actually two volumes on the CP40: a Master (knob) and a Main (slider). I had only lowered the Master. When I lowered the Main, that solved the problem. Maybe I'll try the LocalSW again, just for my own knowledge base, but the Main slider is a bit more convenient.

Thanks again. On to the inevitable next puzzle to solve.

Cayce

Thanks for your help with this, Spantini & Rob.

... but the Main slider is a bit more convenient.

..Cayce

That would seem to be the best and most convenient solution.

Switching LocalSw to "off" disconnects the CP-40 keyboard from the sound generator(s) while still allowing it to send/receive
MIDI data and to sound when triggered by another device, so maybe the CP-40 is getting a MIDI loop-back triggering the notes to sound.

Interesting..

Now.. on to more important matters... What's for dinner? :p

Back