What does this message mean? ERROR

Goss-stick

So my pro-tools sessions pulls up and all. But when I try to play it it saids,

"DAE is having trouble keeping up. Your disk maybe too slow or too fragmented. A firewire disk could be having trouble due to the extra firewire bandwidth or CPU load."

BTW this is set up on my PC, I'm trying to set up a 2nd studio in my house. I usuallly run mac and issues like this never come up. So anyways what does this mean? And how do I resolve it?

this has been googled so often that i only had to type "dae is havi...." and google knew the rest...

any way,,,,either list your specs and what you're doing when it happens,,,,or go google it/search on duc dot digidesign dot com

there are many possible reasons that this error would come up, but a good place to start would be making sure that your computer and all components in it are supported by digidesign.........they're very fussy.

second google result = https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=222613

First thing I'd recommend is opening the session, then choosing File>Save Copy In...

Then reopen that newly saved version.

You're not recording to the system drive are you?

So my pro-tools sessions pulls up and all. But when I try to play it it saids,

"DAE is having trouble keeping up. Your disk maybe too slow or too fragmented. A firewire disk could be having trouble due to the extra firewire bandwidth or CPU load."

BTW this is set up on my PC, I'm trying to set up a 2nd studio in my house. I usuallly run mac and issues like this never come up. So anyways what does this mean? And how do I resolve it?

This happened to me the other night, and when I started troubleshooting it I found folders on my external drive with strange names like: 5a3df25h6u734kl etc. when I opened them there were subfolders in there, nothing that I thought I needed, there was no session data or Digidesign data, so I deleted them, or tried, Windows wouldn't let me delete some of them, so I exited Windows and booted up Linux,(it's a dual boot system), and was able to delete them with that. Then I booted back into Windows XP, went to Explorer, did a chkdsk and a defrag on the external drive and after that everything worked great.
As far as Pro Tools LE,( Rack + in my case), being "finicky" about what hardware it's run on, the only thing I've found that is necessary is that your firewire has a Texas Instrument chipset in it. I have 2 computers I run P.T. on, both home built, one a higher end dual core Intel machine with built in Texas Instruments firewire on the motherboard, and one a cheaper AMD system that I bought a Texas Instruments PCI firewire adapter for,(the one recommended on the Digidesign website). P.T. runs great on both!
Check your external hard drive for those bogus folders and files and then do what I said above and it'll probably straighten it out for you.
Good Luck,
Snyde

Because of the way in which Windows performs disk-degragmentation, performing this operation can affect Pro Tools sessions, and cause the error message saying "Disk may be too fragmented" etc.

If you do encounter these problems then my earlier suggestion of "save copy in" will rectify this.

Back