Using Protools from home

horeq

Hi,

I have been working with Protools software recently at work and need to do some preparatory learning about how to use it at home.

I was wondering if it is possible to just bring the ilok dongle home with me, to use Protools at home?

Is it a simple matter of just downloading the software at Avid or do you need to have all the account information from my work to login and download the Protools software?

Thank you.

The dongle will work with a registered user/ computer. If you are registered it will work where ever you take it which is why it's portability is great.

Hi,

I have been working with Protools software recently at work and need to do some preparatory learning about how to use it at home.

I was wondering if it is possible to just bring the ilok dongle home with me, to use Protools at home?

Is it a simple matter of just downloading the software at Avid or do you need to have all the account information from my work to login and download the Protools software?

Thank you.

Protools downloads used to be publicly available but now you have to login to your the license holder's account to get them.
If you can login+download, or get the installer else where, the ilok will work just fine.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your responses.

I can only download Protools free when I log in. It seems like you can only download the dongle's Protools subscription software if you are the account owner of the dongle and login using that account.

Is it possible to request for a download from Avid?

Thank you all for your responses.

I can only download Protools free when I log in. It seems like you can only download the dongle's Protools subscription software if you are the account owner of the dongle and login using that account.

Is it possible to request for a download from Avid?

Sorry, should have been clearer. You have to log in to the account of someone who has a license in order to be able to download the installers.
I don't imagine Avid will hook you up, but surely your work would download a copy for you? After all, the installer is worth nothing without the ilok.

If your work or someone is going to kit you out, make sure they get you the installers for any other bundles which are licensed on the ilok.
Things like BF compressors, AIR instruments, AIR plugins are all separate installers.

All that Steen said plus you will need the Ilok account details, I personally wouldn't share mine with anyone else.

You can get PT First and play about with that it has loads of the full systems features.

You can also pick up older full legit versions of PT for cheap off the bay.

Fair point Steen, I thought you had to have ilok software installed to check the licences? I'm not gonna try cos mine is currently stable :)

Back