Upgrade to ProTools 12? Wisdom please...

Sydney

Hi!

I'm about to upgrade from ProTools 8.0.5 to the latest version, ProTools 12 it sounds like. Is this a good idea?

Long story, but I updated my Mac with the new El Capitan (from Yosimite) and now my ProTools 8 no longer works. Now it's "imcompatible" based on the following plugins:

DigidesignFireWireMIDI.plugin
DigidesignMbox2MIDI.plugin
DigidesignMIDIIODriver.plugin
DigiDioMidiDriver.plugin

Thanks!

Hi,
While PT 8.0.5 may not be supported on El Capitan, the plugins you list actually point to your audio interface not being compatible so that might be an extra thing you need to suss out.

On the other hand, maybe you'd want to upgrade your interface anyway since PT9 and onwards are open to the full interface markey.

I moved to PT12 quite recently on Yosemite. So far I haven't observed any real issues.

What about your other thread? Was tempo resolution anything to do with the problem?

Sounds like upgrading will help my interface issue. I was worried that ProTools 8 was getting a bit outdated. Thanks again Steenamaroo.

I think both are true, to be fair. PT8 is definitely outdated and not supported on 10.11, AFAIK.

My thought was the PT8 will almost definitely need updating but there may possibly be a current driver for the interface or at least a reasonably young one that happens to work.
I could have sworn I asked what interface you're using and posted a link to the current driver page. I guess that was someone else's thread?

Anyway

• What interface are you using?
  • If mbox 2, Try this. You might get lucky...I'm not sure.
  • What about the tempo resolution thing?

Hi Steenamaroo,

Thanks for the follow up. Ever since upgrading my Mac to "El Capitan" from Yosemite, I haven't been able to open ProTools 8 at all, so I've been unable to resolve the tempo issue I posted earlier. So that's on hold until I get ProTools working again.

The interface I'm using is the 003 Digidesign Rack. Could this be part of the problem? I sure hope this never gets outdated - it came with ProTools 8, and it's very handy (although a little confusing at times)

Before upgrading to ProTools 12, I plan to contact AVID first to also help me troubleshoot things. But I wanted to start here to ensure I get some honest answers about what I should do. Also, I'm a school teacher, so I should be able to get the discounted price for the software right? ($199 I believe).

Thanks!
Sydney

Hi Steenamaroo,

Thanks for the follow up. Ever since upgrading my Mac to "El Capitan" from Yosemite, I haven't been able to open ProTools 8 at all, so I've been unable to resolve the tempo issue I posted earlier. So that's on hold until I get ProTools working again.

The interface I'm using is the 003 Digidesign Rack. Could this be part of the problem? I sure hope this never gets outdated - it came with ProTools 8, and it's very handy (although a little confusing at times)

Before upgrading to ProTools 12, I plan to contact AVID first to also help me troubleshoot things. But I wanted to start here to ensure I get some honest answers about what I should do. Also, I'm a school teacher, so I should be able to get the discounted price for the software right? ($199 I believe).

Thanks!
Sydney

Hi Sydney.
Yes, I believe you should be able to get the discounted rate. I know students certainly can.
As soon as PT9 was announced and the interface market for PT opened up, I sold my 003.
I know it was a bit sneaky but I got good money for it before the prices plummeted.
They were only 'worth' digi's asking price because PT was on interface lockdown for PT 8 and earlier.

Anyway, I don't imagine PT8 is ever likely to work with El Capitan but the 003 might.
Their current driver page shows support up to 10.10.3 so I'd expect it to work with those.
Have you tried them? If not, download and reinstall (even if you have them already) from here.

Steenamaroo,

Change in plans. I'm going to dump El Capitan, and revert back to Yosemite.

I discovered that iMovie is not working well with El Capitan (which I will henceforth refer to as El CRAPitan). Jeez, the two programs that I work most with, ProTools and iMovie, both affected by this "up"grade.

Thanks for the link to the 003 drivers. I probably will eventually get more updated with my software in the future, but will do it much more carefully, and reluctantly.

Steenamaroo,

Change in plans. I'm going to dump El Capitan, and revert back to Yosemite.

I discovered that iMovie is not working well with El Capitan (which I will henceforth refer to as El CRAPitan). Jeez, the two programs that I work most with, ProTools and iMovie, both affected by this "up"grade.

Thanks for the link to the 003 drivers. I probably will eventually get more updated with my software in the future, but will do it much more carefully, and reluctantly.

I haven't stepped into El Capitan yet but I struggle to believe iMovie doesn't work, considering it's a bundled app.
Is there an update for it?
Fair enough if you revert though. It might make life easier either way.

Please let us know if the 003 drivers work on El Capitan and Yosemite, since you have the opportunity to test.
The forum thrives on answers..not just questions.

Hi again,

Steenamaroo, you were right about iMovie. El Capitan came with an update to iMovie, and not only does it work now, iMovie 2015 is way better than the previous version. Because of this, I'm now hooked on El Capitan.

So now I'm planning to upgrade my ProTools LE 8.0.5 (with my 003 rack) up to ProTools 12. But I'm a little confused about how much this is going to cost me. I'm seeing $199 in some places, and other places over $1499 (due to ProTools 8 being a "legacy" software version). Hmmmmm. Tried to call AVID tech support to get this cleared up but they were closed for the holidays. Any ideas on how much I should expect to pay for this upgrade?

By the way, I installed the newest 003 driver, but I still could not open ProTools LE 8.0.5 on El Capitan.

Thanks,

Hey,
Thanks for the update. I'm glad iMovie worked out. It's so easy to jump too quickly, huh?

The advice about the 003 drivers wasn't really to get PT8 to work, but more the 003 itself.
You can still test it as a system audio device or with a free DAW like audacity or Reaper just to see if it's recognised and working

I doubt PT8 is ever going to work on El Capitan so yeah...upgrade to 12 looks good.
That said, PT12 is pretty expensive as you've noticed. I haven't done the research but you might find you can get PT 11 much cheaper.

PT12 pricing is confusing. They seem to have annual subscription prices, outright purchase prices, upgrade/crossgrade/student....I found it hard enough to get an actual price.
I think in the end the cheapest I found was just over £200 in UK.

Well, really in the end I discovered I still had entitlement to a free upgrades from a previous purchase. :) :)

Back