Suggestions for Preamps to add to digi 002

ibleedburgundy

The Anti-Lambo
I'm glad there is now a pro tools forum here. Excellent. And thanks to all the guys/gals who are more experienced for sharing all your advice. I read a lot but don't post much (except fart jokes in the cave) because I'm a dumb musician with the computer savvy of an 80 year old elephant.

Anyway, I've been thinking about getting an RNP to add to my 002. Right now I'm using a Mackie 1604/ADAT with the 4 preamps on the 002 for a combined 12 preamps. Can't really complain because the sound is pretty good but I wouldn't mind having more options. I have some decent mics (a Neumann bullet, AT 4040, assortment of SM57s and 58s, set of audix drum mics which I actually like even though they mount right on the drum). I record in the basement of my townhouse. the room is 22' by 14' by 8. Not a great room but not too bad IMO.

So this is my question: Would an RNP or some other preamp provide anything new in terms of sound quality? Would it be a noticable step up?

are you saying you are going from your 1604 into an ADAT, then into the 002? if so, which adat are you using?

what exactly are you looking to record with this preamp? vocals? bass? everything? i am not familiar with the way the RNP sounds, but if you want an amazing pre/compressor at a steal of a price, look in the the universal audio la610...

are you saying you are going from your 1604 into an ADAT, then into the 002? if so, which adat are you using?

what exactly are you looking to record with this preamp? vocals? bass? everything? i am not familiar with the way the RNP sounds, but if you want an amazing pre/compressor at a steal of a price, look in the the universal audio la610...

Thanks for the reply. I'll read up on the UA la610.

yeah, 1604--->ADAT XT--->002 via optical wire.

I record a little bit of everything. Classical guitar, steel string, vocals, electric guitar, bass, drums, piano, saxaphone. Just looking for something to compliment the 002.

Back