Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Solo a buss???

Thanks

Solo a buss???

Sign in to disable this ad
    This has got me stumped.
    Lets say i have 8 drum tracks. Set up aux input buss 1and 2. Drum tracks have their outs assigned to buss 1 and 2.
    I can see it, I can hear it, I can mute it, I can bring the fader to nothing and hear nothing, etc.
    Everything works, except I can't solo the drum buss.
    Individual drum tracks solo fine, just not the buss.
    Am i doing something wrong or is this just normal? If normal, it's stupid. One mught just want to hear bknd Voc, or drums, or......
    Ps i looked all over before asking my stupid question
    Why would you take my advice?? I don't even take my own advice.

Thanks
    It sounds like you're using the aux track as a mix bus. Probably the first thing to try is "solo safe" the bus. I think it's either command-click or control-click the solo button on the bus. Then use a control group to solo all the drums with one click.

But there's a problem with the way PT does soloing. It simply mutes everything but the soloed track, which is not how a mixing board works, and most other DAWs mimic the better scheme of a mixing board. On an analog console soloing works by tapping signal from the soloed track to a dedicated solo bus, and then switching the monitoring to that bus. That way all the other signal paths are not interrupted. The most irritating thing about PT's solo scheme is trying to solo an effects bus fed by post-fader sends. When you solo an effects bus it mutes all the tracks feeding it, which silences the bus.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,026 Times in 906 Posts
    +1. I generally solo safe any track which has it's master out to an aux track. It's not intuitive, but it's become habit.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    +1. I generally solo safe any track which has it's master out to an aux track. It's not intuitive, but it's become habit.
    But if you solo safe a track, doesn't it not mute when you solo another track? That kind of defeats the purpose of soloing. That's why I solo safe mix buses and use control groups to solo all the tracks feeding a given bus instead of soloing the bus itself.

What if all your tracks go to mix buses? If you solo safe all your tracks, soloing simply doesn't work. PT's solo scheme is truly idiotic, and people who have never used other software or a mixing board are clueless about it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    But if you solo safe a track, doesn't it not mute when you solo another track? That kind of defeats the purpose of soloing. That's why I solo safe mix buses and use control groups to solo all the tracks feeding a given bus instead of soloing the bus itself.
    If you solo something outside of the aux it's no problem.
    If you want to be able to solo individual components within your group, solo-safing the aux is better.
    I generally aux small groups of tracks and want to hear them as a group so my way suits me but I'm probably the odd one out there.

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    What if all your tracks go to mix buses? If you solo safe all your tracks, soloing simply doesn't work. PT's solo scheme is truly idiotic, and people who have never used other software or a mixing board are clueless about it.
    Yeah, sure. If you do that then solo-safing the aux is the way. Fair enough.

Thanks
    What if you submix your drums, solo safe all the drum tracks, and then want to solo a vocal track? Won't you then still hear all your drum tracks when you solo the vocal?

Thanks
    Not unless the aux is in solo, or solo safe, too.

Thanks
    I'm not if front of my system right now but I think this is what vca's are best for. I don't remember off hand but I thought you could do Group soloing? For instance all your drums, drum aux and drum vca as a group you can select enable group solos/mutes? I usually only solo safe the mix bus only. For listening to aux plus aux sends post fader I just highlight all the tracks I want to hear(usually shift click since I tend to have them all together) then(on windows) Start+Alt +click on any solo button.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    Not unless the aux is in solo, or solo safe, too.
    Which it would normally be so you can solo one drum track.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    For listening to aux plus aux sends post fader I just highlight all the tracks I want to hear(usually shift click since I tend to have them all together) then(on windows) Start+Alt +click on any solo button.
    Dos that allow listening to just the output of an effects bus?

Thread Information