Solo a buss???

Glad to know that im not a complete moron, and fault lies with the daw.
On my console its soo easy Drums are assigned to a buss, I hit solo, I hear drums only and whatever effects I have on them. :D

A little late to the party here, but I have Pro Tools and don't have a problem. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

All my drum tracks are also routed to a drum bus. If I want to hear just the drums, I simply solo all the drum tracks and bus. Forgive me if I'm missing something.

I always solo-safe all my aux/buses. So when I want to solo an individual track or entire submix of tracks (drums, guitars, etc.) I just simply hit solo on those tracks. I also keep my reverbs and effects on solo-safe so I can hear that when soloing something, if it has effects on it.

Even though all the other aux/buses are set to solo-safe, you're still only going to hear the individual tracks that are solo'd. Pretty cut and dry, what am I missing?

I do agree that not being able to solo effects on their own without switching the send to "pre" is kind of bogus, there must be a reason for it though. I just don't know what it is...

A little late to the party here, but I have Pro Tools and don't have a problem. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

All my drum tracks are also routed to a drum bus. If I want to hear just the drums, I simply solo all the drum tracks and bus. Forgive me if I'm missing something.

I always solo-safe all my aux/buses. So when I want to solo an individual track or entire submix of tracks (drums, guitars, etc.) I just simply hit solo on those tracks. I also keep my reverbs and effects on solo-safe so I can hear that when soloing something, if it has effects on it.

Even though all the other aux/buses are set to solo-safe, you're still only going to hear the individual tracks that are solo'd. Pretty cut and dry, what am I missing?

I do agree that not being able to solo effects on their own without switching the send to "pre" is kind of bogus, there must be a reason for it though. I just don't know what it is...

I gotcha. Being late to this 'party' is totally cool. Its not like there's any beer or chicks here. :D
What I'm ideally looking for is to just push, click, mouse, or whatever you want to call it, one button. The stereo buss, or drum master fader track has a solo button on it. It just happens to not work.
That pisses me off. :D

Sure i can solo all the induvidual drum tracks, but that kind of defeats the purpose. I dont want to have to hit 8 or 10 solo buttons to hear a stereo drum mix by itself.

I suppose I could print the drums to a stereo track but I'd have no contol over individual tracks.

Ps. What is this "solo safe" you speak of. :)

I gotcha. Being late to this 'party' is totally cool. Its not like there's any beer or chicks here. :D
What I'm ideally looking for is to just push, click, mouse, or whatever you want to call it, one button. The stereo buss, or drum master fader track has a solo button on it. It just happens to not work.
That pisses me off. :D

Sure i can solo all the induvidual drum tracks, but that kind of defeats the purpose. I dont want to have to hit 8 or 10 solo buttons to hear a stereo drum mix by itself.

I suppose I could print the drums to a stereo track but I'd have no contol over individual tracks.

Assuming you're on Pro Tools and Windows, just hold "control" down and solo the bus. The solo button will turn grey-ish, meaning it's in solo-safe mode. Now if you just want to hear the snare, for example, you just solo the snare, and you'll hear it without having to solo the bus also.

Also, if you have a submix/2bus/pre-mix channel all your buses are routed to before the master, that has to be solo-safe'd as well (or you'll have to solo it everytime you solo something)

Now if you're on a mac, I'm not sure what the solo-safe button is. My bet is "command" Just hold it down while clicking the "S" on a bus.

Edit: There's probably a way to do it with one click using groups, but I'm not sure what it is. I normally have no need for groups, so I never use them.

There's no good reason for it. It's because PT simply mutes "everything but" the soloed track. Other software mimics analog consoles by assigning the track to a dedicated solo bus and switching the control room feed to that bus. That leaves all the tracks active, still feeding the effects buses.

Edit: There's probably a way to do it with one click using groups, but I'm not sure what it is. I normally have no need for groups, so I never use them.

Shift-click or Control-click multiple tracks, go to groups and "create new" group. Then they'll all solo together when you solo one. All the faders will move together as well. There's a command to temporarily defeat grouping for when you need to control one track at a time (Shift-command-G, I think).

LOL. You're kidding right?

Looking at the function in simpler terms, I often solo-safe the click track.
That means that if I solo my vocal, for example, I'll still hear the click track.

Now applying it to some drum tracks which go through an aux.
The problem is that in Protools if you want to hear the snare, for example, you have to solo it and it's aux.

There are two main approaches.
1: You can solo-safe the aux which means you'll be able to solo, and hear, individual elements of the kick...Snare for example,
2: You can solo-safe all the individual drum tracks which means you'll be able to solo, and hear the aux (whole kit).

The main gripe, as far as I know, is that you should be able to do both straight up or, at least, other Daws and analog gear would let you.

LOL. You're kidding right?

Looking at the function in simpler terms, I often solo-safe the click track.
That means that if I solo my vocal, for example, I'll still hear the click track.

Now applying it to some drum tracks which go through an aux.
The problem is that in Protools if you want to hear the snare, for example, you have to solo it and it's aux.

There are two main approaches.
1: You can solo-safe the aux which means you'll be able to solo, and hear, individual elements of the kick...Snare for example,
2: You can solo-safe all the individual drum tracks which means you'll be able to solo, and hear the aux (whole kit).

The main gripe, as far as I know, is that you should be able to do both straight up or, at least, other Daws and analog gear would let you.

In regards to kidding, actually no. I'm not :)
I see the button on the channel that says solo and I click it. Thats all I know. :D

When I run stems through my analog console, I can't solo busses either as there are no solo functions on the 8 busses....but

I'll run the stereo drum track through two input channels and solo that way. Easy peasy.
I just wish it was so easy entirely ITB.
:D

Back