Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Solo a buss???

Thanks
    Thanked 1,026 Times in 906 Posts
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Which it would normally be so you can solo one drum track.
    Clearly I don't do it that way.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    In any case, the PT soloing scheme is clunky. An actual solo bus would be much simpler to use than the "mute everything but" method. Digital and analog mixers do it, other DAWs do it. All you do is press the solo button and it works, whether it's a track, a submix group or an effects bus.

Thanks
    Thanks for all the responses on this topic. Y'all.
    Sounds like a pain in the ass. I have no idea what safe solo is. I just hover over the solo button and click it.
    I did discover that to solo an effects aux like verb ir something, I have to set up the sends to it in pre fader so just the effects solo.
    I wish it was simpler. On my console it is lol

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    Clearly I don't do it that way.
    What do you do when you solo one track that's routed to an aux track being used as a submix bus?

Thanks
    As I said earlier, I generally don't.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RFR View Post
    Thanks for all the responses on this topic. Y'all.
    Sounds like a pain in the ass. I have no idea what safe solo is. I just hover over the solo button and click it.
    I did discover that to solo an effects aux like verb ir something, I have to set up the sends to it in pre fader so just the effects solo.
    I wish it was simpler. On my console it is lol
    Solo safe shows the solo button as faded grey rather than yellow and means that the track will always act as if it's solod when you solo others.

It is messy and confusing all this ^^.
    A simpler example is that I might solo-safe the click track near the start of a session because no matter what else I might solo, I'll want to hear the click with it at that time.

Thanks
    Depends on how it is bused but usually no. To do this I highlight all in the group, open one send and start alt click the send pre button. Start click again to put back to post fader. To do it more accurately set another set of sends already set to pre fader with the levels the same as the post fader sends going to the same aux. Then mute post fade send unmute pre fade send, start alt click, etc. Or send the post fader sends to another aux the output of which goes to the effect aux in and set a separate vca just for those two aux tracks so they can be soloed as one. There's probably an easier way but I cant think of it right now , sorry. Op wasn't about an effects bus though AFAIK, VCA is really the best way to do what was requested(drum sub mix I'm assuming). If going to 2bus mix bus, well, usually go through another aux (drum)sub first is easier. Although a VCA should still work. The other work around is to highlight every thing you don't want to hear and Start alt click mute. Note: VCAs can be nested.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    Hahaha. All this is driving me back to just bringing subgroups back into my console and mixing there.
    But in the other hand I'm committed to learning the ITB flow.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    Depends on how it is bused but usually no. To do this I highlight all in the group, open one send and start alt click the send pre button. Start click again to put back to post fader. To do it more accurately set another set of sends already set to pre fader with the levels the same as the post fader sends going to the same aux. Then mute post fade send unmute pre fade send, start alt click, etc. Or send the post fader sends to another aux the output of which goes to the effect aux in and set a separate vca just for those two aux tracks so they can be soloed as one. There's probably an easier way but I cant think of it right now , sorry. Op wasn't about an effects bus though AFAIK, VCA is really the best way to do what was requested(drum sub mix I'm assuming). If going to 2bus mix bus, well, usually go through another aux (drum)sub first is easier. Although a VCA should still work. The other work around is to highlight every thing you don't want to hear and Start alt click mute. Note: VCAs can be nested.
    JFC, in Vegas Pro I just click the solo button.

Thanks
    Yeah pro tools routing is supposed to be so flexible, but it can be a headache. Which is supposedly why they implemented VCAs. I still get confused and I've been using Pro Tools since ~ 1998
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thread Information