Recording to the system drive of a macbook pro?

wreckd504

Anyone do it? Does it work? I'm thinking of buying a macbook pro, and am wondering whether I should bother getting an external drive as well. I used to record to the system drive of my old windows laptop and it worked up to about 10-15 tracks

What are all the mac book users out there recording to?

It will probably work (up to a point) but it's not a good idea. Laptop or not, recording to the system drive is a bad idea and is not supported by Digidesign.

Yes you can. I had to do it for a while untill my external arrived I wouldnt do it again though and would invest the €90 for a small external

works fine, never ran into a problem but like stated digi dose not like people doing this

It's not that Digi don't like you doing it, more that if it doesn't work they won't help you other than suggest you use a non system drive.

Regardless of what software you're using you should never record or playback audio from a system drive.

It depends how many tracks you want to record at once, what bitrate, etc. With how cheap hard drives are these days, get an external that's supported by Digi. I recommend the IcyDock series: I got one and it's been great thus-far! My buddy got one too so we can switch drives easily. Good stuff. LED is way too bright though...

So how much disk space would you recommend on an external hard drive and obviously firewire is better, right? I want to do a bit of recording, demo stuff only...

So how much disk space would you recommend on an external hard drive and obviously firewire is better, right? I want to do a bit of recording, demo stuff only...

FOr the disk space, I guess it depends on your budget and how much you plan to record/store on the drive. I think it would probably be false economy to buy less than 500 gigs. You could also partition it and use it to store music, videos, pics etc.

And yes, I would recommend getting a FW drive - I've had better luck in the past with them when having high track counts than USB. Although on paper they have a very similar transfer speed, apparently FW has a more effective method of transfering data? (I might be wrong about that...). FW800 is even better if you can afford it & have a comp that can take it..

FOr the disk space, I guess it depends on your budget and how much you plan to record/store on the drive. I think it would probably be false economy to buy less than 500 gigs. You could also partition it and use it to store music, videos, pics etc.

And yes, I would recommend getting a FW drive - I've had better luck in the past with them when having high track counts than USB. Although on paper they have a very similar transfer speed, apparently FW has a more effective method of transfering data? (I might be wrong about that...). FW800 is even better if you can afford it & have a comp that can take it..
Agreed. In addition, make sure whatever drive you get has one of the chipsets listed as compatible on the Digidesign website. I learned this the hard way, first-hand. :/

Agreed. In addition, make sure whatever drive you get has one of the chipsets listed as compatible on the Digidesign website. I learned this the hard way, first-hand. :/

Very true.

It's also a good idea to keep your drive with at least 20% free space. It will operate far more efficiently this way (especially with a Windows based system).

Back