PT LE 7.1 MIDI setup question using soft-synths w/no controller kb

terrafirma

Greetings:

I'm new to PT, and I've done some practice audio recording and editing with positive results. And now, on to MIDI.

Before attempting to use my Novation X-25 keyboard as a controller in Protools LE 7.1 (a task requiring numerous downloads, installations, tweaks...), I thought I would simply try to record some MIDI just using the soft synth add-on plug-in pgms BFD-Lite and Sampletank 2 SE. Using each of these programs, I have been able to tap on the onscreen soft-synth mini- drum or keyboard, respectively, and hear sounds, but I haven't been able to record them.

(Having worked with Cakewalk Pro Audio, I understand the basics of MIDI, and the need to match midi channels between senders and receivers of MIDI data. I think I've gotten that right, although it's always possible that I've made a dumb mistake somewhere...)

I was surprised and disappointed to learn from IKMultimedia, makers of Sampletank, that their onscreen soft-synth keyboard does not record, and that's the reason I was having problems with ST 2:
"ST 2 has not controll over this, this is up to your host and midi controller.
Also you cannot use the onscreen keyboard in ST 2 to input midi."

In BFD lite, I could play drum grooves and fills, even drag files from the groove template window to a PT MIDI track and hear them on a bussed audio track (and see them as MIDI events within PT). But without a controller keyboard, I have not been able to record the various grooves and fills by simply arming a MIDI track in PT and hitting "record".

Then I began to wonder if these programs, or soft-synths in general (kontakt player, reason, etc.) somehow needed to be "set up" in PT (the way external controller keyboards need to be set up in PT), or if certain of my audio/midi settings in windows XP needed to be adjusted, or if my dual core toshiba laptop was somehow interfering with PT.

Again, I thought I would proceed step-by-step in getting to work with MIDI in PT, so that's why I left out the external keyboard altogether. (Especially since my particular keyboard is said to require a few sophisticated tweaks before it works smoothly with PT.) But without a controller keyboard, I haven't made much progress.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Back