Protools First Software compared to Protools subscription.

horeq

Hi,

I am considering downloading Protools First to use at home as I have started using Protools at work and need to learn it, as I also need to train one of our colleagues about it.

How different is Protools first compared to the paid subscription full Protools. If I was to learn Protools first, would that enable me to be proficient on full Protools subscription?

Thank you.

Hi,
You can look over the comparison yourself here but, in short, yes.
The layout and workflow are going to be largely the same so PT first would be a good, free, way to learn the software.

Full Pro Tools has a lot more options for editing,mixing and IO and First is greatly limited track-wise but it will give you a good start on knowing your way around the interface. I encourage any one who wishes to try PT first read and follow all instructions to the letter including the system optimization guides. More resources @ Avid Pro Audio Community - Powered by vBulletin . Peruse the "help us Help You" link at the top of the page for valuable info

Thank you all for the response.

Can both Protools First and Subscription open each others files with the only issues regarding hardware configuration and plugins used - Can first open a subscription file and vice versa?

PT First uses what avid calls "projects" instead of the normal "Sessions" the full versions usually use. Full version can open "projects" and "sessions", PT First is essentially cloud based(doesn't save "locally" to your hard drive) and will open only Projects , not sessions. Supposedly Avid have added the options of saving locally using First if you purchase a larger cloud storage subscription but it's new and from what I've heard they're still working out the bugs. I have read a lot of people having problems accessing their Projects or saving them to the cloud also. I have not had this issue so I suspect it is dependent on whether you follow installation and setup EXACTLY as l outlined previously and also how many users are online as anything that is entirely cloud dependent is also at the mercy of ISP's and the stability of servers

Back