Producing in protools

What is the producing cababilities like in protools? stuff like making beats and what not.

I think perhaps your question is a tad vague. But I think I can answer it to an extent:

Pro Tools works best as a hard-disk recording workstation. You can, of course, use MIDI, loops and samples but you will need to buy seperately not only the sample/loop libraries, but the plug-ins that would play them. Pro Tools only comes with elementary versions of synths/samplers (the new 7.4 comes with a sample player called Structure "Free", i.e. you'll have to buy a decent upgrade for it). However, there are obviously multitudes of virtual instruments available. Check them out here:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=32&mkt=LE&langid=100

Under the "Effects" menu, select Virtual Instrument and click Show.

IMHO, and from my experience, there is some other software that works a bit more elegantly as a music creation/production tool, such as Propellerheads' Reason, which is a stand-alone virtual synth/sampler environment (though it does not record audio). Tons of samples/loops are included and of course there are tons more available for expansion. The new Logic 8 combines MIDI sequencing and loops with hard-disk recording quite well, as I've seen so far, and has over 40GB of samples and loops included.

Hope I helped!

I used to use Acid to arrange my loops and then I recorded in Cakewalk. Now with Pro Tools 7.3 and 7.4 it has made my life so much easier by using REX files. I arrange and modify my loops in Pro Tools and everything stays in Tempo as intended. No need for Acid anymore!

a lot of folks will use a sequencer such as acid/reason with protools acting as a rewire host...this way, the work you do in the dedicated sequencer shows up directly in protools

a lot of people don't realize that PT was originally intended for video post-production and was later adopted for music production...so there's a few things that PT just isn't the best for

Back