Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pro Tools is so slow that it is barely fucntional...

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    When you pick back up troubleshooting tomorrow or whenever, open up task manager and see what it tells you. Maybe some other process is hogging up all of your CPU or memory? Maybe it's a failing disk? Some rogue process? I'd uninstall Focusrite drivers, reboot, reinstall as a troubleshooting step as well.

I'm curious to see how Reaper behaves once you get it installed and set up for your interface's ASIO drivers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,026 Times in 906 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeyondQuantum View Post
    I get this weird "code 1935" error message.
    Is there a full error you can paste here?
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    You should not be having problems with a reasonably sized session. First thing is make sure you have nothing in cd/dvd drive as on windows this will cause PT to hang and only on windows is this a problem. Second reseat all your ram-this is another point where windows machines will only show ram problems when using ProTools. Third, shut off wi-fi and disable or deinstall avid link-unless you are using cloud "Projects" instead of sessions, having link on will just slow protools down. The next trouble shooting steps involve moving all plugins from the folder found at local disk>program files>common files>avid>audio>plugins to the unused plugins folder that should already be there. Create a new test session and import a few audio files and test how Protools responds. If it is working properly then quit and reinstall plugins 10 at a time and restart until the problem recurs. Once it does remove the lase ten and add them back one at a time until the problem recurs. Note:if you find a plugin causing an issue it may just be corrupted which can be repaired by completely uninstalling the plugin and reinstalling. more things to try if you have more info
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gtoboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Good idea! I hadn't thought about uninstalling the focusrite software yet since it's just the drivers. Focusrite control is a very simple UI that just functions as a basic monitor. That would explain why Audacity isn't working. I've been pointing my finger at pro tools the whole time. Your turn, focusrite! lol
    Last edited by BeyondQuantum; 09-03-2019 at 06:00.

Thanks
    Great suggestion! This whole time I've suspected the plugins were what started this mess. I bungled the installation the first time. I didn't even realize the plugins were included with my student subscription at first so I boneheadedly paid for monthly plugin bundle and double installed them. I was so excited to Use pro tools that I was just flying through dialog boxes clicking "Yes!" as quickly as possible...heh. I'm using all of this software for the first time as well so I'm still climbing the learning curve.

Thank all of you so much for your help. If and when I ever finally finish this album, I'm going to have to put HomeRecording in the liner notes or something!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    You should not be having problems with a reasonably sized session. First thing is make sure you have nothing in cd/dvd drive as on windows this will cause PT to hang and only on windows is this a problem. Second reseat all your ram-this is another point where windows machines will only show ram problems when using ProTools. Third, shut off wi-fi and disable or deinstall avid link-unless you are using cloud "Projects" instead of sessions, having link on will just slow protools down. The next trouble shooting steps involve moving all plugins from the folder found at local disk>program files>common files>avid>audio>plugins to the unused plugins folder that should already be there. Create a new test session and import a few audio files and test how Protools responds. If it is working properly then quit and reinstall plugins 10 at a time and restart until the problem recurs. Once it does remove the lase ten and add them back one at a time until the problem recurs. Note:if you find a plugin causing an issue it may just be corrupted which can be repaired by completely uninstalling the plugin and reinstalling. more things to try if you have more info
    Great suggestion! This whole time I've suspected the plugins were what started this mess. I bungled the installation the first time. I didn't even realize the plugins were included with my student subscription at first so I boneheadedly paid for monthly plugin bundle and double installed them. I was so excited to Use pro tools that I was just flying through dialog boxes clicking "Yes!" as quickly as possible...heh. I'm using all of this software for the first time as well so I'm still climbing the learning curve.

Thank all of you so much for your help.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    Is there a full error you can paste here?
    At this time, I don't unfortunately. It had something to do with C++ Assembly. If I'm unlucky enough to come across it again, I will post it verbatim.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    Also, all my sessions are very small. I've got one almost finished song that has aboout 15 tracks I think.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,026 Times in 906 Posts
    At this time, I don't unfortunately. It had something to do with C++ Assembly. If I'm unlucky enough to come across it again, I will post it verbatim.
    Please do.
    Looks like 1395 is a common windows error code, particularly during installs.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks

Smile

Yeah...so do I. I've spent all day troubleshooting this problem. The program doesn't actually crash, though. I just can't move the mouse for 10 seconds between clicks...which is just as bad. And it freezes during the first 5-10 seconds of recording. It will eventually snap back and start recording.It seems to have the most trouble with my electric guitar which I'm feeding directly through the interface. I've uninstalled the entire program probably 3-4 times total, deleted all files (except avid link), all drivers and codecs and reinstalled them.

Same issue.

I followed the configuration guidelines in the link that Bruce suggested to a T and even disabled a few extra windows visual effects for good measure.

Each time I reinstall Pro Tools, I get this weird "code 1935" error message. I followed the suggestion mentioned on that page and that didn't work either. The program still installs but it's still painfully slow. Maybe that's just how it's going to run on my pc?

Oddly enough, I downloaded audacity (which worked marvelously on my wife's laptop instantly) but I got an error message that crashed the program as soon as I pressed record.

After hours of fruitless work, I'm pretty exasperated. I think I'm gonna throw in the towel for today. Thanks again for all your help guys.
    One of the things I do to my interface (Apogee Symphony running Thunderbolt) is crank up the buffers as high as it goes for Mixing i.e. 2048 samples. For tracking, I do the opposite, crank it down to the lowest buffers I can get without cracking plus disable all plugins. I will sometimes disable WiFi, Antivirus and/or other unnecessary background processes. Just a thought

cheers
    B!

Thread Information