Pro Tools 10 and Mbox 3

Telegram Sam

More of a brief "in forum" user review than a question.

I started with the Avid Eleven Rack and quickly switched over to the Axe FX II for my go-to guitar processor in my micro project studio. I have had good luck using the AF II for a basic input device, it has MIDI connections but no mic pre. I bought a Focusrite Scarlette 2i2 as a smaller, more manageable device with the mic input, but it has no MIDI.

A couple days ago, the 2i2 started giving me fits when trying to switch between sessions with different bitrates (the AF II can only run at 48k, and I have some work at 44.1, so I am finding myself managing sessions of varying bitrates). At times during the day, my PC couldn't even recognize it when I plugged it in. I dumped all my PT preferences (not sure that is such a great suggestion in hindsight, I had later had to reinstall a plug in), reinstalled Focusrite drivers, tried new cables, rebooted frequently, resetting default devices (and disabling others) as my day went along.

It was a day of crap.
Frustrated, and wanting one small device with all of the desired physical I/O anyway, I went down to GC and picked up an Mbox 3.

What a well built unit!
Heavy as a rock and built like a bomb; the smooth action of the control knobs ("pots," as they were once called), ooze quality. I am currently transferring some old cassette tapes to digital, and the signal is pretty hot. The input gain controls "pull out" to provide a -20 db pad for hot signals. If you push a couple buttons at once, it becomes a guitar tuner, using the red and green colors around the gain controls to indicate guitar tuning, pretty cool little setup.

I should have done this in the first place: It is delivering fast, seamless performance with PT 10. While I found the Eleven Rack to be a bit clumsily laid out as a dedicated interface, I am amazed at how nicely configured the Mbox 3 is. I almost went with a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 8, and I really glad that I saw the light and stuck with the Avid approved product for Avid software. It not only runs better than what I was previously using, everything seems to be running faster as well.

Sure, I'll be back in a week complaining about it, but I just wanted to drop this here in advance to remind myself of better days. :p

Back