My Protools setup is fine.

Mines fine too. I love it. There's a bunch of protools haters out there, but yet for some unknown reason, so many pros use it. :)

My rational for getting it was always this;

Good enough for the pros, good enough for me.

Ps. I have reaper too. Many like it, I like PT better.
:D

You dont have to like it, or use it, but don't shit talk my daw, OR Ns10s
:D

A lot of it comes down to personal choice i used Protools for a number of years at work. Despite many hours a day using it for real plus a formal training course at Protools. I never came to actually LIKE the user interface. i could make it do what I wanted but never enjoyed it.

That's the thing though--preferences for a UI are very personal and what seen intuitive to one person is a struggle for another.

Me? I tried the original Cool Edit 96 at home and liked it I followed the adventures of Cool Edit and then Adobe Audition and still feel at home with it. If you like working with Pro Tools, great but everyone is different. I have to say that Pro Tools is used by professionals because other professionals use it and the need to exchange projects is a big consideration. If you work mainly alone it's less of an issue.

(Worth saying that my uses are probably different than most home recordists.)

A lot of it comes down to personal choice

That's it. I get on really well with the UI and the way things are laid out.
I don't get on quite so well with the pricing, which is why I never really recommend it to people.

Nice to see the dust getting blown away in here, though. It's too quiet! :eek:

Steen, that 'screen shot' was funny. :D

Aside from that. Do they try to pull the subscription crap on people with previously purchased installs? I have PT 10

Steen, that 'screen shot' was funny. :D

Aside from that. Do they try to pull the subscription crap on people with previously purchased installs? I have PT 10

I'm not certain. I have PT12 bought and paid for but, as far as I know, I can't progress through the incremental updates without paying some sort of subscription.
I never looked into the details but, for the time being, I'll be living on 12.3.1 (or whatever it is) and my present operating system.

Mines fine too. I love it. There's a bunch of protools haters out there, but yet for some unknown reason, so many pros use it. :)

Largely because it was already a standard when they started, and they never tried anything else. They have no idea what they're missing.

PT is okay. I've become pretty good at it out of necessity. My partner has a studio that's PT based. A few things about it are really nice: the clip gain situation went from stupid and useless to superior between 7.4 and 10. But there are some irritating lapses in the way it functions. For example, it doesn't have a dedicated solo bus, it simply mutes all but the soloed track. In Sony (now Magix) Vegas you can solo a reverb return by clicking the solo button on the reverb bus. No need to solo-safe anything, it just works. You can create an effects bus with one click, and sends appear on every track by default, already routed to the effects bus. No need to create an aux track, assign a bus to its input, place sends on tracks, assign each send to the bus. In Vegas, tracks aren't predefined as stereo or mono. You can mix stereo and mono audio clips on one track. Much like analog mixer stereo line inputs with "left/mono" connection, mono inputs are automatically routed to left and right. The pan control becomes a balance control for stereo audio clips. PT can do more sophisticated routing, but with the trade off that for the 99.99% of the time you're not doing that it takes five steps to do what takes one step in Vegas.

Oh, and the editing in Vegas is amazing. Volume automation automatically puts curves between points. You can grab the line between any two points and move it vertically or horizontally. Just about everything snaps in an intuitive way. Drag a clip edge and it snaps to the time grid, markers, the cursor, other clip edges. In the new version clips even snap to edges of other clips on adjacent tracks! Double click a clip and that exact range is selected on the timeline. It's incredibly fast and intuitive. But PT is okay, I guess, especially if you've never tried anything else.

I have reaper too, but thats a pain in the ass to me.

I pretty much only use it for editing, and mix out of the box. Got a 16 i/o converter and run tracks into my console.

Vegas was the first proper suite I ever used.
That would have been version 6 or 7, mind you, but I really got on well with it for a long time.

I never really chose to move away from it; I chose to move away from Windows but I imagine, if I knew more about the current versions of vegas, I'd probably be recommending it to people.

Vegas was the first proper suite I ever used.
That would have been version 6 or 7, mind you, but I really got on well with it for a long time.

I never really chose to move away from it; I chose to move away from Windows but I imagine, if I knew more about the current versions of vegas, I'd probably be recommending it to people.

I jumped from 6 to 13 with little effort. And I just bought 14 for my home rig. It's also a video editor, which is something I've been doing lately, so it's the perfect solution for me.

The one thing I envy from PT is the recent advances in clip gain automation. That was a brilliant improvement. For years I hated that the only way it could be done was in Audio Suite, and it seemed to cause audible degradation. Not it's superior to Vegas in that regard.

Yeah, that was certainly one of the huge missing links for a long time.
Avid (Digidesign) always seemed to be massively behind the curve on at least one thing.
If I remember, elastic audio was added long after competing suites had similar functionality.

Does Vegas have anything like that? That's something I'd miss, for sure.
Actually...does Reaper have something similar, since we're talking about it?

I use elastic pitch a lot for minor transparent fixes, too. That's another thing I'd really miss if it wasn't there.

Back