Midi Notes Keep moving out of sync with grid?

Kennytonia

Hi guys, am I the only one this happens to, or do your midi notes constantly go out of sync with the grid? I'm not sure what's causing this, but every time I copy and paste a block of midi notes, it's ever so slightly off from the grid. This always causes problems with notes overlapping! Wondering if there's a way to stop this.
Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 12.20.50 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 10.45.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 10.45.58 PM.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 27
Hi Kennytonia,
A few things to check. May not all be necessary.

Select grid mode in the edit window top left panel.
Just below that (juuust outside your screen shot) select bars|beats, rather than mins:Secs

The orange marker tells me 'link timeline and edit selection' isn't enabled, so enable that.
tl.jpg

and finally, make sure you're working in bars and beats as shown below.
Screenshot 2019-08-04 at 12.14.25.jpg

If that doesn't solve the problem, please let us know. :)

Hi mate, it didn't fix the problem, the black line is still there and the midi notes are still ever so slightly out of sync :\ Not quite sure what is causing this. Any other ideas?

Appreciate your response!

When you make your selection, to copy, does the highlighting perfectly match the grid?
If so, when you click to place your line/marker, for pasting, is it perfectly on the gridline?

When you make your selection, to copy, does the highlighting perfectly match the grid?
If so, when you click to place your line/marker, for pasting, is it perfectly on the gridline?

It does match the grid, everything is fine, I'm just not sure where this line keeps coming from! It's that black line that keeps messing everything up and moving my midi notes out of sync with the grid. Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 5.50.41 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-08-20 at 5.50.50 PM.png

Not 100% but I think I might know what it is.

If, in edit window, you change the view from 'notes' to 'blocks', then make a selection that covers everything and consolidate (Edit menu), then switch back to 'notes' and try your paste again, I think it might solve the problem.

Not 100% but I think I might know what it is.

If, in edit window, you change the view from 'notes' to 'blocks', then make a selection that covers everything and consolidate (Edit menu), then switch back to 'notes' and try your paste again, I think it might solve the problem.

Hey man, that seemed to have gotten rid of the black lines! Thanks a lot. Now i've just got to figure a way to stop them from appearing in the first place. Hopefully will get around to that at some point. Appreciate the help :)

That's great. Did your paste work afterwards?

Copy+Paste midi can be quirky in Protools, particularly if you're working from blocks with defined sizes.
I think the issue comes when you copy a set of notes and try to paste them into an area where there is a block, but it's not big enough?! Half guessing there.
Either way, I've run into that sort of issue a few times working with pre-made drum loops, and just consolidate my way out of it, but have never had the same issue when writing something from scratch.

Hopefully that's helpful. :)

Back