mbox 2 vs mbox 3 mini (guitar Tone)

bluesboyee

Hi,
When recording guitar (mic + cab) I get an awesome tone going into the mbox with plenty of overtones and articulation with the real open sounding tone I'm trying to capture, but when I turn the mix knob full right or playback, the tone becomes very midrangey and all that chime and air around the guitar is gone. I'm a blues player so a live feel is important.
Does anyone have the same issue?
Should I buy a Behringer ad da converter to go in the spdif section?
Should I buy an mbox 3 mini (does it have better converters than the mbox2)
Or is there a setting somewhere I've set wrong
Any help much appreciated

with the mix knob full left you're hearing a no latency passthrough of your sound.

With it full right, you're hearing the software processed version which often has latency.

What recording software are you using and what sample rate/bit depth is the session set to.
Do you have any effects at all in your software?

Really mix knob left or right shouldn't sound different.

My only other educated guess is that your guitar amp is in the same room as you and you're listening on headphones;

If this is correct, mix knob left will give you a combination of zero latency audio in the cans, combined with the real amp in the room which sounds great, right?

When you turn the mix knob right, you're hearing the real amp in the room, and a slightly delayed copy in the cans, which sounds nowhere near as good,

and when you playback afterwards the real amp in the room is gone completely (obviously), so your recording sounds nowhere near as good.

Just a hunch, but if i'm wrong, tell us a little more.

You make a good point although I have large closed back headphones which cancel out slot but still let the low freq through, but it's more the detail in the highs that I'm hearing a difference with.
When I playback a recording it sounds like the midrangey tone not the nice tone.
I'm using pro tools le 8 with mbox 2, 24bit 44.1

hmmm,,not really.

for hot tracking to have an audible effect you'd need to be clipping, so either the red light on the mbox would light up, or pro tools would display the red clipping light.

I have great headphones which really really mute out outside noise, but i can still hear live drums/guitars with them on.

Because i have a one room setup, i make a point of listening back to everything and NOT judging anything while its live, for this very reason.

Perhaps this isn't your problem, but IMO it certainly isn't helping.

Is it just a drawback of digital recording and I'm expecting to hear analog sound, I'll do some experimenting today I will
•move the amp
•not record too hot
•record listening to the amp(no monitoring) and then check if the sound is the same
•record with cans but further away from amp (next room)
•set hardware buffer as low as possible to avoid any latency
•try mic placement with the mix knob over to the right instead of left

Thanks for your help btw

Is it just a drawback of digital recording and I'm expecting to hear analog sound?

I very much doubt it.
My point is that what you hear when you're tracking should be identical to what your hear on playback,
unless of course the live amp is influencing how you think your headphones sounds.

but yeh, your list is good because it's experimentation/trial and error.

If there's more to this problem, apologies for missing it, but i can't think of anything.

Back