M-Audio users, please review/give your opinion about M-Audio/ ProTools interfaces.

Athos

In 2003, I had ProTools LE on a nice powerful Dell. I had the upright Mbox.
LOVED IT! It sounded AWESOME. Recording was easy. I didn't have to struggle with EQ and compression because the preamps in the Mbox were so nice ( I did use EQ and comp., but not to salvage tracks). I cut a couple albums, and a couple EPs with that thing. I miss it!!!
I used an AT4040 microphone, and still do.

Fast forward to about a year ago after my PC died, I got an iMac. Nice machine. Like it a lot.
But this forced me to do some equipment changes. I purchased the full version of M-Powered Pro Tools 8. I was excited to have it. I started out with an M-audio Fast Track Pro.
Since I had trusted digidesign so much with their great product of my former Mbox, I didn't think twice about doing reseach (my mistake).
I started cutting a record. It took me a little while to realize that my ears weren't going bad, but the tracks I was getting sounded like crap. There are/were a lot of strange frequencies bouncing around that sounded not nearly as tight as my old Mbox.
Finally, after struggling to record an album with the Pro, I decided to upgrade to the Ultra. The dude at the music store said the preamps are MUCH better in the Ultra. I've tried it a little, and it seems a bit better. But I'm afraid after I get well into another tune, I'm going to notice poor quality preamps, that maybe it's no different from the Pro... But I really hope it's better.

So, my question is: Has anyone else noticed the severity of sound quality with the MAudio interfaces, versus the old Mboxes.

Is there a dual input interface out there that is as good as the old Mbox that is compatible with Pro Tools 8?????? THAT is my main question.
I've heard Focusrights are good - but I'm not sure if they're compatible with the full ProTools 8 (yes, I will be researching that - just haven't yet).

Thank for any useful input you may have. Much appreciated!

-Athos

I think the old Mboxes definitely beat the M-Audio interfaces. I have had two Focusrite interfaces, first a Saffire 6 and now a Pro 40, and I love them both - highly recommended.

Thanks for your input. Any idea how the Focusrite preamps are compared to the Fast Track Ultra?
Same? Better?
Thanks!

Thanks for your input. Any idea how the Focusrite preamps are compared to the Fast Track Ultra?
Same? Better?
Thanks!

I've heard that the Focusrite preamps are better, but I've never had the chance to compare the two. Focusrite is generally praised for their preamps, though.

I have a profire 2626 and it's considerably better than my mbox 2 was. That being said, I imagine the mbox 2 is probably nicer than the fast track stuff.

There is no difference between MP8 and LE8 though as far as functionality goes.

Back