Linking faders to meter readings

HapiCmpur

I recorded an acoustic guitar track with no clipping. After adding EQ and compression to the track, it's clipping at a few peaks. When I lower the volume fader to give the track more headroom, the audio volume decreases, but the readout on the meter stays the same. It continues to clip, too, even when no guitar sound is audible. How can I get the meter readout to follow the fader setting?

I've tried selecting "Pre-fader metering" in the Options window, and although that does link up the meter readings to the actual fader levels, I think it's also bypassing the EQ and compressor. How can I link the meter readings to the output of the entire channel?

Post-fader metering is what you want.
It won't bypass your effects or anything like that, but if you pull down the fader, the meters will reflect that.
Put on a really obvious eq peak or something just to prove that it works.

The downside is that your plugins could be clipping and your meter won't be telling you.

I think most people prefer pre-fader metering and, in your situation, would pull the gain down on the eq plugin.

Last edited:
How do I get to post-fader metering if PT isn't going there by default? De-selecting Pre-fader metering doesn't do it. When I de-select Pre-fader metering, the meter readings stop responding to fader movements.

Hmmm. That sounds backwards.

With pre fader ticked, your visual meter should represent the input level after the effect of any plugins, IIRC.
With it unticked, your visual meter should represent the input level after the effect of any plugins and the fader.

You're absolutely right, and I feel like an idiot. I misinterpreted what was happening when I flipped from pre- to post- and I wouldn't have done that if I had just tinkered with it a little more before panicking and running here for help. I thank you for your patient assistance, and I apologize for the false alarm.

Hey, no problem at all! I was doubting myself for a minute.

Man, I only realised yesterday that volume automation is NOT pre inserts.
How I've gotten away without realising that, I've no idea.

I had a comp on some guitars that sounded just a touch rough at one particular point.
I just automated the volume at that point, but what do you know, the compressor was being hit just as hard.

Dumbass Steenamaroo. :p

Back