I'm changing platforms... I need help & advice!!! Thkx!!!

YaNzYTrUkO

Hi everybody out there… I want to thank you all in advance for the help I’m going to need in selecting the gear for my new “Home Recording Studio” since I’m changing platforms…

This is the gear I had for years & what I paid for it long time ago:

• Roland VS-1680 24-Bit Digital Studio Workstation
(Old Version Of VS-1880 Without CD Burner- “No Longer In Production”):
$3,000.00
Korg Trinity Pro X V3 Series- 88 Weighted Key Music Workstation w/ Z1 Board
(Old Version Of Triton Pro X - “No Longer In Production”:
$4,000.00
Audio-Technica AT4040 Cardioid Condenser Microphone:
$500.00
Alesis Monitor Two Passive Studio Reference Monitors:
$600.00
• Alesis RA-100 Reference Power Amplifier/100 Watts:
$350.00
• Sony Professional Studio Monitor Headphones:
$150.00

So we are talking about $8,600.00, plus cables, adapters, a mic stand, a 2nd set of headphones, a desk, and some other accessories, for an approximate total budget of $10,000.00 (sales tax included).

Unfortunately, after many years of learning, understanding and getting to feel comfortable with my gear, I had some personal problems and had to sell all of it to a music store (for peanuts)… 

In the other hand I was feeling obsolete compared to others. I had the opportunity to stay in touch with the recording business by working in several professional studios in Miami & Puerto Rico, although I didn’t have my hands on the gear since all I did was write songs, drop vocals, & vocal coaching… But I was able to learn how much everything has changed in the way productions are being created with the use of Pro Tools & other softwares…

I also helped satisfied my appetite for creating music by messing around with a Reason 2.5 that I had installed in an old PC…

After some research and seeing what studios are using nowadays, I decided to change platforms and build a cheaper version of it as my new “Home Recording Studio”…

This is what I had in mind:

• Music XPC Professional C5/Music Production Computer:
$1,500.00
• DigiDesign Pro Tools LE System/003 Factory/Version 7.3:
$2,500.00
• DigiDesign Pro Tools Custom Keyboard For Windows:
$100.00
Propellerhead Reason 3.0 Digital Audio Software:
$400.00
• Audio-Technica AT4050 Multi-Pattern Condenser Microphone:
$900.00
Makie HR824 8” High Resolution Studio Monitors:
$600.00
Ultrasone ProLine 650 Stereo Surround Headphones:
$300.00

We have so far $6,300.00, plus cables and accessories, for an approximate total budget of $7,000.00.

This is where I’m going to need your help…

Which items should I reconsider???

Are there better items out there within the same price range???

What am I missing to take full advantage of this setup???

Will I need an extra preamp for the condenser mic when using “003 Factory”???

Is the Music XPC good enough to run “Pro Tools” & “Reason” together or should I build my own PC???

Which MIDI controller would you recommend keeping in mind that all the instrumentation will be via MIDI and/or audio samples with the exception of a live guitar here and there???

Is the “AT4050 Condenser Mic” good enough to record live acoustic guitars???

Will I need a sampler or with the use of Pro Tools this won’t be necessary???

Should I consider buying a compressor and/or any other type of audio/vocal processor???

Do you think I should change this platform’s approach???

Well guys… I hope I’m not being too much of a burden with all these questions… Is just that it’s hard for me to just get out there and spend all this money for the second time without being afraid of purchasing the wrong gear… I just want to stay as up to date as possible with the minimum investment possible…

With this gear I will be pre-producing “R&B”, “Hip-Hop”, and “Reggaeton”… I don’t know if that piece of information is necessary to take into consideration when selecting the new gear…

The 3 producers I will be working with have “Pro Tools” and “Reason”, so it will be so much convenient for me to have the same…

Thank you very much for your patience… I know your time is valuable…

Don't have time to answer everything right now but might I suggest that you wait until Reason 4.0 comes out (it won't be long now) so you have the most up to date version.

Hey, I wouldnt get the 003 if your going to just make hip hop beats. I would get an m-box and spend the money on a really good pre amp, and plugins.

I think the monitors are a really good choice. I use them every day at work.

I wouldnt bother getting the pro tools keyboard, you really dont need it.

I also agree that you should wait for reason 4.0. You should get a demo version of 3.0 with pro tools software pack.
I use a m-audio controller, I think they are nice. And a far as a computer I would go mac. We just spent $8000 on a avid / Dell PC and it sucks. It crashes all the time. In our other studio we have a mac G 4 it runs great.
Thats my 2 cents, others might not agree.

I concur with the M-Audio MIDI controller. I use the Axiom-49 and I love it. 49 keys 10 sliders, 10 rotary encoders, and 8 drum pads.

I would also suggest getting a mac. I'm still using a PowerPC G4, and it does everything I need it to do. If you get one with an intel chip you'll be set!

Back