"DAE is having trouble keeping up..."

ocean_machine

When I try to play or bounce a track I get the message "DAE is having trouble keeping up. Your disk may be too slow or too fragmented. A firewire disk could be having trouble due to the extra firewire bandwidth or CPU load. (-9019)" Have any of your encountered this error and if so, what was the solution? I'm running Pro Tools LE 8 on Windows 7. Yes, I know that is an old version on an old OS but it has worked fine up until a couple of weeks ago.

You might give some additional information on the hardware involved (processor and RAM, and the drive you are running (RPM, cache, model number etc.)

A quick Google search shows quite a few instances of DAE errors reading from drives. Slow drives, fragmented drives or excessive PCI bus traffic appear as possible issues. Background programs (like AV software and indexing software) can tie up drive access.

I have had drives that were starting to develop issues causing read/write errors. Simple solution... order a new drive, copy all the data to the new drive before it crashes and carry on. Remember, there are only TWO types of hard drives, those that have crashed, and those that are going to crash!

Hey, thanks for the reply. I don't know how to look up some of that information but I'll give you what I have.
CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5 Ghz Dual-Core Lga 1151
HDD: WDC WD1003FZEX-00K3C SCSI
RAM: 8gb... don't know the model. I think the box is out in the garage somewhere.

I run defrags regularly. I don't remember how old that hard drive is off hand so maybe it is breaking down.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I don't know how to look up some of that information but I'll give you what I have.
CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5 Ghz Dual-Core Lga 1151
HDD: WDC WD1003FZEX-00K3C SCSI
RAM: 8gb... don't know the model. I think the box is out in the garage somewhere.

I run defrags regularly. I don't remember how old that hard drive is off hand so maybe it is breaking down.

I would look there first. The WD black drives are decent (although I can't find any info on a SCSI version). It may be getting weak, so I would watch that. The Pentium 4650 isn't the fastest CPU out there but I don't think that's the issue, especially if it was running ok previously. CPUs don't typically "slow down" unless they have been damaged by overheating.

You might also run Latency Monitor to see if there are processes that are stealing CPU time or creating a bottle neck. That along with running Task Manager to look for programs that are using high resources can sometimes show an errant program that may have been updated with bad results. Operating systems typically slow down as things are added and removed, sometimes not cleanly.

I uninstalled from that drive and installed it on my brand new SSD and got the same message. Would you mind telling me more about "latency monitor"?

Hey,
Unfortunately Avid's (Digidesign's) error output is often misleading.
It's certainly worth making sure your drive is healthy and checking that system resources aren't being hogged by something but, unfortunately, chances are this is some stupid bug rather than a real issue at your end.

Top of my to-do list was always to run Prot Tools preferences trasher program and take it from there.
Nine times out of ten, with pretty much any error I got, that set things back on track.

I deleted the preferences (Program Files > Common Files > Digidesign > DAE > DAE Prefs) and I'm still getting that same error message. (I know you're also supposed to delete the Pro Tools folder from within AppData > Roaming > Digidesign but that folder doesn't exist on my computer.)

(I know you're also supposed to delete the Pro Tools folder from within AppData > Roaming > Digidesign but that folder doesn't exist on my computer.)

Check the Local folder. I have zero experience with Protools, but for my day gig, we delete folders in Appdata to solve some issues with software. Those folders are sometimes in Roaming or sometimes in Local. I can't tell you why it's one or the other.

I found a Pro Tools LE 8 update on the Avid website (8.0.5) and installing that fixed the problem. Thank you to everyone who contributed to the thread; It kept me from giving up.

Back