Connecting my korg volca beats through Midi

Dor Avitan

Hey everyone,

I cant quite figure out how to connect my korg volca beats through midi.

The volca beats got only midi In so it can only receive midi data as much as i figured.

But I dont understand how to write midi, send it to the volca beats and then let it play and record it.

I was hoping someone can explain the process of doing it to me :)

Thanks everyone for their time !

Last edited:
Hi Dor,

Are you hoping to send midi data to the Korg, from ProTools, then record the audio output of the korg?
I.E. You want to record the real sounds that the Korg produces?

If not, please describe the workflow you're hoping for and I'm sure someone can help. :)

Hi Dor,

Are you hoping to send midi data to the Korg, from ProTools, then record the audio output of the korg?
I.E. You want to record the real sounds that the Korg produces?

If not, please describe the workflow you're hoping for and I'm sure someone can help. :)

Hey thanks for answering! :)

I'm hoping to send midi data to the korg, from ProTools and then record the audio output of the korg yes.

Have you got a midi keyboard or some other controller linked to the computer? If not you need to get one. Most DAW software can produce MIDI output by mouse clicking and while for drum patterns that's not too annoying, and some people do everything this way, a music keyboard connected to the computer will speed things up. Protools is getting better with it's MIDI implementation, but is not the most ideal platform for programming MIDI.

Have you got a midi keyboard or some other controller linked to the computer? If not you need to get one. Most DAW software can produce MIDI output by mouse clicking and while for drum patterns that's not too annoying, and some people do everything this way, a music keyboard connected to the computer will speed things up. Protools is getting better with it's MIDI implementation, but is not the most ideal platform for programming MIDI.

Well I dont have one, I usually use my Kawai ES100 Piano as a midi keyboard.

In any case what i desire is to send midi information to the Volca Beats and then record the VB output using my daw(cubase or pro tools)

You do! The Kawai has a midi out! You connect this to your DAW - not sure what interface you have, but most have MIDI in and out. The out goes to your Korg. The audio output off the org goes to the interface. In cubase, all you do is is set the input to the channel to the midi in the Kawai is set to, and the output goes to the org. When the sequence is complete, connect the korg's audio in stereo to go to a stereo track or two mono ones, and press record.

The only real messing around is that you need to hear the korg to play it via the Kawai, and then when it's time to record it, you need to use the sockets to record - so there's just a little faffing around - unless you get crafty with routing and use the DAW as the route to the monitors. I've got a collection of old synths and this is how I use those - play them from my master keyboard, and then at some point, record their output back in. Pretty standard behaviour really.

Back