Connecting Hardware Synth Module and Axiom 25 Keyboard Controller - Mbox 3

Telegram Sam

Hi, I'm trying to get my head around setting up my MIDI studio for the first time.
I have a Roland U220 synth module and and Axiom 25 Keyboard.
I would like to use the Axiom to record MIDI data, playing the sounds from the U220.

Could someone please describe the connections?

Do I connect the U220 (via MIDI) to the Mbox 3, or to the Axiom?
Do I connect the Axiom to USB as I have been doing for virtual instruments, or to the Mbox 3 via MIDI?

After I have physical connections, how do I then set up my MIDI studio?

:confused:

OK, 10 hours later...

I've managed to set up the Axiom keyboard and record MIDI, via the USB.
It is also controlling the U220 (via MIDI in / out on the Axiom 25) and I am able to trigger the synth and hear it on my Aux track.
I am also able to insert a virtual instrument (Vacuum) on the Aux track and trigger it with the recorded MIDI data on the MIDI track.

The only thing I can't do is get the recorded MIDI data to trigger the external sound module (but like I mentioned I can trigger the module using the keys on the controller).

I've got the U220 installed in the MIDI Studio with Axiom 25 directlink selected for in/out.
Input to the MIDI track is "All," output is the U220 on channel 1.
Input on the AUX track is interface>input, the only option that isn't a bus.

Any ideas to help me get this wrapped up?

OK, two more hours and I finally have the MIDI track triggering the external unit.
I had to set the control to USB in the Axiom, so that the MIDI out from the controller would originate from Pro Tools.

The weird thing thing is that in order to audition it I have had to create a second Aux track (??)

8656378019_2652e9fcc5_b.jpg

If I instance only the first Aux track, there is meter signal but no sound from the Mbox, unless I am changing I/O in which case a snippet of sound was entering while I was clicking buttons.

I tried setting the output to a new track and it is working now.

Is this the only way, or am I missing something?

Good info.

I added my XP80 back into the mix as a controller board and sound source, and ditched the Keystation 49. M-Audio MIDI to USB adapter to the rescue!

I am having the same issues you described getting a MIDI track to work so we'll see how that turns out. I only spent about an hour fiddling with it so I'm still at the beginning of figuring it out. You've given me a few ideas so thank you for this post.

:thumbs up:

Hey Sam,
Sorry I missed this. I guess you got sorted in 4 weeks, but here goes.

Two ways to do it.
Straight line path -
Keyboard - midi out - synth - line out - Protools.
That's by far the simplest way but it means you don't record any midi data: Just the audio from the synth.

The second is what you're doing.
Keyboard midi into protools (recorded).
Midi out again from Protools to synth - Synth line out into protools.

This is fine IF you need the midi data recorded.
If not, I wouldn't bother with all that routing.

I don't see a need for aux tracks. Just have your synth line outputs going to the mbox 1+2, or whatever, and have Protools record that on a new stereo audio track.

If it's not allowing you to audition unless you're recording, look for 'input only monitoring' in the track menu.

Maybe you're using an aux track purely for audio feedback while you record the midi data?
That'd allow you to tweak the midi data afterwards to get your performance perfect and then record the audio down after?

If so I suppose an aux is handier for auditioning.

Back