A bunch of questions concerning Mbox 2 Mini recording bundle and related things

carsoste

Hi,
Since I've purchased, but have yet to fully explore my Mbox 2 minirecording bundle because I'm still trying to find the right computer to record on it with and additional equipment to augment it, I have some questions. Googling these hasn't really got me very far. (I'm asking these now to avoid headaches later, when I actually start to use it.) Here are my questions:1. Does the Mbox 2 minibundle have phantom power? 2. Is or are there any particular preamps that I have to buy in order to use it? 3. Can one record voice and guitar or voice and keyboard simultaenously with the Mbox 2 Minibundle? (In the past, I've always mutlitracked and recorded my guitar or piano first and then sung over the recrording of those instruments, but I think I could have far more lively recordings if I could record both at the same time.) 4. Does anybody know of a relatively inexpensive ($60-80) large diaphragm omnidirectional mic that I could purchase to record an Ibanez acoustic/electric guitar with? 5. Is it necessary to have a compressor/limiter when recording with the MBox 2 Minibundle?(This was my original plan, but due to some financial changes, it appears I may have to add a compressor to my equipment once I'm at the mixing stage.) 6. Does anybody know of a website where I could buy affordable yet good quality used recording gear? I've tried Musicians Friend Scratch n' Dent, but that hasn't really worked nor has ebay. 7. Finally, does anybody know of a website or possibly a book that teaches one how to build absorbers/reflectors and bass traps? I think it me be more cost effective to build rather than buy them.
Thanks and I hope someone out there can answer my questions. I realize there's a lot of them. Also, thanks to everyone for answering them in the past.
Best wishes,
carsoste

The MBox Mini has two inputs, one mic/line (with phantom power) and one line.
So you need an external pre amp if you want to record from two mics at the same time.

Regarding computer... I'm a Windows guy, but for pro tools I have a macbook pro, pro tools just works so much better on the mac (unfortunately ;) )

I never use an outboard compressor when recording, I prefer to record as "raw" as possible, and then add compression later. If you do it when recording, you have no chance of removing the compression.

Just to add you don't need an outboard compressor for mixing either. Pro tools comes with plug ins you can use.

I agree Molin Pro tools tends to like mac a lot better than pc. I've worked on both systems and the pc is usually less stable.

Back