Apple won't allow me to upgrade to 16 gb of Ram because of Late model 2014

raywon

Studio 1784
Mac Mini- Late 2014- Processor 1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz) with 3MB on-chip shared L3 cache, 500GB (5400-rpm) hard drive, 4GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 memory
• USB Audio Interface- Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface
• Mic- Rode NT1-A, with Shock mount, Pop Shield, Dust Cover
• Audio Software- Pro tools 11
• Monitors- Fostex 8” 3 way
• Headphones- Semheiser HD Pro closed back
• USB External Hard drive 3TB - Seagate
• Mackie Mixer

1. Mac Mini ->USB-> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2-> USB-> Mac Mini -> Audio Interface input 1&2 to main output Mackie Mixer-> Rode NT1-A Mic-> Input Mackie Mixer (monitoring Vocals only)
2. Headphones->Input-> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface
3. External Hard Drive->USB-> Mac Mini ( To run Pro tools and save studio sessions)

Apple won't allow me to upgrade to 16 gb of Ram, I need to know can I run my Pro Tools through my Seagate external hard drive for recording.

Apple won't allow me to upgrade to 16 gb of Ram, I need to know can I run my Pro Tools through my Seagate external hard drive for recording.

Hi,
I don't understand the connection.
Yes, you can store Protools sessions on an external drive and access them from there. How much RAM you have isn't related.

Mac Mini- Late 2014- Processor 1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz) with 3MB on-chip shared L3 cache, 500GB (5400-rpm) hard drive, 4GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 memory
• USB Audio Interface- Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface
• Mic- Rode NT1-A, with Shock mount, Pop Shield, Dust Cover
• Audio Software- Pro tools 11
• Monitors- Fostex 8” 3 way
• Headphones- Semheiser HD Pro closed back
• USB External Hard drive 3TB - Seagate
• Mackie Mixer

1. Mac Mini ->USB-> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2-> USB-> Mac Mini -> Audio Interface input 1&2 to main output Mackie Mixer-> Rode NT1-A Mic-> Input Mackie Mixer (monitoring Vocals only)
2. Headphones->Input-> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface
3. External Hard Drive->USB-> Mac Mini ( To run Pro tools and save studio sessions)

I need to know if I can download Pro Tools on the external hard drive instead on the Mac mini and run it from the external hard drive.

If you go for a MacMini the ones to get are the MacMini Server. They're i7 quad instead of i5 and they come all setup to take two hard drives. They also have removable RAM, so you can upgrade to 16GB (the max for any Mini) for a lot less than Apple charges.

Once they announced the current Minis the i7 ones flew off the shelves and they're still a lot more powerful than any of the new Minis.

My advice is to sell the Mini you have and keep your eyes open for a used i7. I run 12HD on mine (with an external chassis for my HDN card) and it's lightning fast. Sessions that were taxing my old MacPro Quad Xenon/16RAM are running at about 4%-9%.

Back