About to wipe out my PC....

35chevy

Well, actually, I'm not sure if it will be wiped out completely, but I'm having problems with windows and it may have to be reinstalled. What files do I need to make sure I save before putting the PC in someone else's hands? I don't mind having to reinstall Pro Tools, but I'd like to be able to pick up where I left off with my sessions and templates. I cannot ope PT, so what files do I keep?

Ok, that's handy enough.

Assuming everything's bought and paid for, you should have, or have access to, installers for all your plugs etc.

For the actual sessions Pro Tools creates a folder by the name of your choice.
Within that folder is the session file (same name) and various folders such as 'Audio Files', 'Fade Files' etc.
Back up the entire folder for each of your sessions.

Worst case scenario, PT may not like that you've moved the folder to a new place and might spend some time relinking the audio.
Don't panic if that happens. As long as it was all backed as one folder, it'll all link up again.

In the ideal world they should all be on a separate drive anyway. ;)

I can't be 100% certain about templates because I don't often use them.
They'll be called "***** template.ptt" so you should be able to spot them handy enough.

If you can't open PT you might want to google "trashing pro tools preferences".
It's always my go-to troubleshooting tool.

Ok, that's handy enough.

Assuming everything's bought and paid for, you should have, or have access to, installers for all your plugs etc.

For the actual sessions Pro Tools creates a folder by the name of your choice.
Within that folder is the session file (same name) and various folders such as 'Audio Files', 'Fade Files' etc.
Back up the entire folder for each of your sessions.

Worst case scenario, PT may not like that you've moved the folder to a new place and might spend some time relinking the audio.
Don't panic if that happens. As long as it was all backed as one folder, it'll all link up again.

In the ideal world they should all be on a separate drive anyway. ;)

I can't be 100% certain about templates because I don't often use them.
They'll be called "***** template.ptt" so you should be able to spot them handy enough.

If you can't open PT you might want to google "trashing pro tools preferences".
It's always my go-to troubleshooting tool.

Yea, it's all bought and paid for. I have the installation disc and downloading the the newest update is no problem. I've been recording to the system drive on this old pc, but I'm installing multiple drives in my new pc build. I want to make sure I'm saving all the necessary files so that I don't lose any of my work. I have found two folders that I'm going to save. Both were created by PT during installation. One is "Pro Tools recordings" found in my documents and the other is titled "session templates". It looks like all my work is in those two. Should there be more I am not seeing?

I don't expect so.
Just have a look through the 'pro tools recordings' folder to make sure all your sessions are actually in it.
Personally, I'd want to see them all by name first.

Back