zip drive question/help!

groove

I just bought a D-160. I love it. It rocks.

When I plug my ZIP drive into the SCSI port
it shuts off?? Any ideas as of why?? It wont come on as long as the ZIP drive is plugged in. I am using the cable that came with the drive (for a PC) do I need a mac cable or what???????????

Groove,
I know this doesn't answer the question, but what is a D-160? I have an fd-8. When I first got it, I bought a "zip" instead of a "scsi". Mine did the same thing- power failure when I plugged it in. Hope this helps. kmar

Sounds like what kmar is saying is that he had a parallel port Zip and what he needed was a SCSI Zip drive. I know they also make a combination Zip drive now that does both, but it might not be able to auto sense correctly on the Fostex machines. Who knows, just a guess.

groove,

Check to see which version of the Zip drive you have. If you have the SCSI Zip make sure the Zip is terminated if it's the last device in the chain. In other words, check the back of the Zip for a switch that sets termination if you don't have anything else chained off the Zip drive. If you have the parallel port only version of the Zip, then you need to trade it for the SCSI version before it will work.

Right Jon- that's what I"M say'in! If only my grey matter would handle all that tech stuff, the world would be a better place to live and dwell.

Oh man! What am I thinking???? My ZIP drive plugs into my parallel port......I thought it was SCSI???!! Shows how much I use it. I'll have to investigate a little more.

And a D-160 is the Fostex 16 track hard disk recorder. It's kind of like an adat without the tape headaches or head troubles. It has interchangeable hard drives and will save info. as wav files. It doesnt have a mixer, it's just the tracker. I got mine brand new for $1200!!!!!!!!

:cool:
That sounds pretty hip Groove. $1200 for 16 tracks- man I remember my first ADAT. 8 tracks for $2,200. The times, they are a'chang'in.
kmar

That is a sweet deal. I paid $2400 for a VS880 only a few years ago, 8 tracks as well.

BTW, kmar, cool icon with the sunglasses... how'd you do that one?

:confused:
Jon X, Click on "smiles legend", it shows how to create :cool:. What I want to know is what some of the other faces mean- I especially like the blindfolded smoker. When I go to the Smiles Legend, it doesn't explain them all. kmar

Back