zip drive interference

dlea@wipfli.com

Aside from the fact that my zip 250 is very noisy when I record on my fd-4, it also seems to add electronic interference when I am using the 1/4 inch jacks to record guitar. every time I start to record and the disk is accessed, there's a squealing sound. It's okay when I use the xlr mic jacks. Is this because I don't have a terminator on the zip drive? (couldn't find one anywhere. had to order off net).

Yes. Would they pick that up? It's only when the disk actually starts running that it happens. Of course I do get some hum off the coils all the time. Actually, I think it's going to be okay. Last night I just moved the zip drive down another shelf, as far as the cable will reach, and I didn't hear it happen again.

I keep my Orb drive in a box when recording vocals and that seems to help keep the drive noise to about zero.

Peace, Jim

Welcome To the Fostex Forum! Dlea!

Another cheesehead becomes a member of Homerecording.com! I have a FD-8 and have not noticed any of those type of problems. I record almost everything direct but the vocals and I do very little of that right now!.

Hey, Top Jimmy,
Thanks for the welcome. I was beginning to think I was the only one who bought one of these when nobody I talked to around here had even heard of it. Had trouble finding the drive, too. It's good to see a strong Cheesehead Contingent in the home recording forum!

Could you tell me exactly how you got that "squealing" sound? I think it would help my vocals...

[This message has been edited by Bob Sordahl (edited 05-28-2000).]

I have exactly the same problem with my FD8 every time it accesses the internal hard drive.

The noise is coming from my mixer which is usually plugged into channels 1&2.

I think it's an earth loop because I've just pulled the midi leads out of one of my modules and the noise has gone away.

This is not a good solution though because I need to use my module...

Does anyone have any other ideas???

I was trying to think of a way to shield the jack from the drive, but since I moved the drive as far away as the cable will reach, I have not heard it again. There are also two wooden shelves between my drive and the FD-4. Of course, now I see you have an internal drive, so that's no help. Sorry. Have you tried tech support on the Fostex website? They got back to me within 24 hours on my last question.

[This message has been edited by dlea@wipfli.com (edited 05-30-2000).]

Back