Wrong Forum- Right Forum??

gospel

I know this is the wrong forum to be asking this, but I asked the same question on the "mixing and mastering" forum in a thread about monitors and was totally ignored. I was probably ignored because they were too busy in a big argument about what is the best studio monitor. I'm not interested in what the "best" monitor is (I couldn't afford it anyway).
My question is what kind of reference monitors are you guys mixing with? And if you know what are some that are inexpensive that I could buy?
I have not been getting good mixes after recording on the MR-8 and using headphones or my computer speakers.

Curious...

What makes you feel your results are not good? Did you play back your mix on something else after mixdown on headphones, and then were not happy? Why? If you know why, then keep that in mind during future mixdowns on headphones. If you have a set of headphones that are truly full-range, without emphasizing any one particular frequency, you can do a pretty good job, especially if you know what to listen for. I do mixdown on both a pair of 30 year old Koss Pro 4AA, then on Polk Monitor 7's. Then I check out what I've got on a car system and nice boom-box. After a while you start to know what's going to sound good across the widest range of systems. Actually, mixing on a boom-box isn't as bad an idea as it sounds.

Believe it or not, I get pretty good results with a boom box. Don't have a good set of monitors anyway. Decent headphones do a pretty good job too. Notice I said "pretty good" though. I think it's worth saving a little longer to get a pair of quality monitors.

bd

Re: Curious...

billisa said:
What makes you feel your results are not good? Did you play back your mix on something else after mixdown on headphones, and then were not happy? Why? If you know why, then keep that in mind during future mixdowns on headphones. If you have a set of headphones that are truly full-range, without emphasizing any one particular frequency, you can do a pretty good job, especially if you know what to listen for. I do mixdown on both a pair of 30 year old Koss Pro 4AA, then on Polk Monitor 7's. Then I check out what I've got on a car system and nice boom-box. After a while you start to know what's going to sound good across the widest range of systems. Actually, mixing on a boom-box isn't as bad an idea as it sounds.

There are not any eq issues. Mostly it is issues with levels. In the headphones everything sounded balanced (vocals, music) and then on the computer speakers the levels did not sound as balanced. I've read many things about mixing and most say that you are not going to get accurate mixes on headphones. This is not to say you couldn't learn a particular set of phones. Basically, I am looking for a new set of speakers for my PC that do not enhance the sound like the ones I have. Then I can learn the speakers and get better mixes. I think from what I've heard on here so far. I might look toward the some Sony speakers that I saw on MF for $50. They look exactly like studio monitors but are not. Just trying to get some ideas from you guys.

the BeeGees

Rumor has it the BeeGees would mix on a pair of cheap "monitors" knowing that most people who would be listening didn't have quality systems! The thing about headphones is they can be deceiving in that sometimes you can more easily pick up things while wearing them that seem more buried when played on monitors. Plus, many headphones do not have flat frequency response... So you get a built in bias. The Boom-Box idea in some ways is no different than two small monitors...

The biggest problem with mixing on headphones is they take out the left-right mixing that takes place in free space that you get from speakers. With speakers, something that's panned to the left isn't heard JUST in your left ear as is the case with headphones. Your right ear picks it up as well but your brain sorts out what's going on and you percieve the sound as being panned left. Head phones make it very difficult to judge panning, time based effects and such.

BTW, I'm still doing my initial mixes on cans and then I'm checking for "what it really sounds like" on the Monitors. There is quite a difference and you hear things on the Nearfields that you don't on headphones.

CR ><>

gospel said:
Are these powered? How do you hook them to your PC?
Yep, they are powered. 75 watts each. More than enough headroom to get me evicted from my apartment. LOL

I'm using a 1/8" Male Stereo Mini Plug to 1/4" Mono Male Y Adapter Cable into the the back of my SP-5B Monitors from the puter Sound Card. It helps to have a 6', 1/8" Stereo Male to 1/8" Stereo Female Adapter Cord to plug into the sound card if ya don't want to be forever pulling the puter out to plug in. I also use the same type of cord on the Line In on the puter sound card too for the same reason.

CR ><>

Back