Thread: Vocal Sound

Thanks

Unhappy

Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm trying to get a decent vocal sound on my FD-4. I don't have the greatest mic (AKG 2100) anyone have tips, tricks or ideas?

Thanks

Wink

Hey Toe Knee,

A couple of suggestions.

1. Get a nice mic preamp. The preamps on the Fostex are lacking. They're sufficient, but that is about it. I use a mackie mixer and insert that (from the insert on the mackie) to the front input. this works very well.

2. Get a nice, inexpensive (as your budget warrants) condensor mic. I'm sure others will respond similarly. For vocals, it a night and day difference from a dynamic mic. If you do any acousic guitar it will improve sound dramatically. Now I have a Marshall 2001--it was under $200, had a 1" diaphram and I've been pleased. If you have more to spend you will find a thousand opinions on the matter. Do a search in the microphone forum for mics you might consider. By the way, a condensor mic will probably necessitate the need for a mic preamp because the FD-4 has no phantom power--condensor are powered either by phantom power, baterries or they will come with their own power supply if they are a tube unit.

3. Get a compressor--this can really add punch to a vocal mix.

Hope that helps.

Peace, Jim

Thanks

Wink

i use a Shure SM 58 for vocals (on an FD8) and it comes through nice and clear (the only barrier is my voice)
    baines

Thread Information