VF160 Tinny Sound...

Jizz

Anyone got good tips on how to make the recordings sound less tinny?

When I'm recording and playing back through my monitor it sounds good but when I mixdown to CD and play on my PC it sounds too...tinny?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ta :)

I had exactly the opposite problem when I first got my vf160. Everything was muddy when I played it any where other than through my rig. I learned to compensate for it with eq when I mixed. Then I got some real monitors.
Without knowing what monitors you are using, it's hard to tell you where to start. My guess is that your monitors are to blame.

mixdown

listen to your cd on diffferent machines and take notes, go back to the file and make corrections, make another cd, and go to several different players , take notes and repeat, until final goal acheived....

Are you recording direct or are you going through a board? I have learned that the onboard EQ on the VF160 sucks. It never sounds as it does through my montors (KRK V8's) versus on CD. I use MOTU Digital Performer to sequence and "tweak" my music. I would suggest doing the same.

Are you recording direct or are you going through a board? I have learned that the onboard EQ on the VF160 sucks. It never sounds as it does through my montors (KRK V8's) versus on CD. I use MOTU Digital Performer to sequence and "tweak" my music. I would suggest doing the same.

sounds different

it always does, no matter what recorder i use, thats why i suggested listening on different cd players, take notes, make changes and repeat....

This is not a problem with the machine itself (assuming its all working properly) it must be something you are doing, wrongly. There is no way the Vf160 is a 'tinny' recorder, it just records flat whatever you put into it.

Yep your monitoring, or your PC setup is at fault, or it could be the way you are exporting to PC.

Instead of playing the stuff on PC make an audio CD and play on various people#s hifi systems, in the car, boom box, etc. See how that sounds. if that sounds OK then its your PC setup or the way you are exporting to PC, if it sounds tinny on all the hifi systems then look to your mixing technique and monitor setup.

I have never heard others complain that the vf160 sounds tinny.

Back