VF160 - recording bass

doughulin

a newbie here...I just recently got a vf160 and I'm pretty happy with it, everyone seems to agree that the eq could be improved, especially the bass. Anyone have any suggestions on how they've gotten a good tone? I'm using an ampeg combo and miking it rather than using the direct out (too much noise). Should I take some of the lows out on the amp itself, or perhaps eq the signal on the way in to the vf160? Or, what is the best way to tweak the highs and mids in playback/mixdown in order to get something other than a horrible groaning sound? Many thanks for any ideas.

Hiya. You need a DI box. I get great bass recording on my VF80 (well, I think that are:) ) and I suspect you've got signal chain issues rather than the Fostex's shortcomings. You really need to get the sound right going in and not mess around with the VF's eq. Also mic'ing a bass cab is not an operation to be undertaken lightly. I'd suggest you do a search on Bass DI and you'll get some really helpful stuff.

Best wishes

Garry

thanks Garry, I hadn't thought of a DI box but now it seems obvious. I guess you're suggesting I do all of my eq'ing on the amp itself, run it through the DI box and into the vf160, and then I won't need to mess with the vf160's eq. I suppose I'll just need to experiment with my amp's eq to see what tone turns out to be the best once recorded.

at any rate, do you recommend any brand of DI that you have been happy with or know to be high quality? Thanks again, much appreciated.

Doug

Doug

You've got a choice between the easy way and the best way....

Easy way is, if your amp has a DI out or a Line out, hook that up to the VF160 (turn the VF's input trim all the way down). You're now using the amp's pre and eq, which will almost certainly be better than the Fostex's.

Best way however is with a dedicated Bass DI box. Do the search I suggested in the Guitar forum and you'll get lots of info on brands from people more experienced than I am. But popular brands are the Johnson J-Station, Sansamp, Behringer Bass V-Amp. Many of these gizmos alllow you to model different amp/speaker combinations etc, but most importantly they will give a good strong, clean recording signal.

Have fun:D

well, perhaps a combination of both. as you probably know, the vf160 bass eq only allows you to set the gain, but you can't touch the frequency, so you're rather limited in what you can do with it.

I have an old zoom bass multi-effects pedal that I realized might help some, recorded a new track with it and it definitely gives me more options. But I also the sans amp di box on order to see if that helps any.

My main issue at this point is that I can't get the bass to cut through in the mix, it's getting lost underneath my guitar for the most part, but perhaps I just need to take some lows out of the guitar. All I want is to be able to get something to come out of this machine that resembles the actual sound of an actual bass guitar, and so far I just get a sound with very little definition. I'm playing a jazz bass with great tone so I don't think it's my guitar.

Waahhhh!!! We'll see how the sans amp helps...

problem solved

my biggest problem was that I was recording in Buss mode, don't ask me why. once I switched to direct I started to get decent tone on the way in, using my zoom bass multi effects pedal. I knew that flimsy piece of junk would be of use one day. now with the tone I've got there's little need to involve the fostex eq.

also took the advice of another post I read awhile back and doubled my guitar track, then moved the second one slightly in front of the other, then panned them all the way to left/right, which achieves a great My Bloody Valentine effect and opens up the middle for other instruments/vocals.

so, no need for the sans amp, I guess I saved myself $200. but I wouldn't have figured out how to solve the situation if I hadn't posted a dumb question here first... thanks to all.

and thanks to Fostex. this machine is great!

"My main issue at this point is that I can't get the bass to cut through in the mix, it's getting lost underneath my guitar for the most part, but perhaps I just need to take some lows out of the guitar. All I want is to be able to get something to come out of this machine that resembles the actual sound of an actual bass guitar, and so far I just get a sound with very little definition."

Interesting.
I recorded a friend on bass the other day. In rehearsal, which wasn't meant to be the 'actual' bass take just a rough go to get the drums down, & the bass was plugged straight into the vf160 (no amp) all he used was a compression pedal on his bass - sounded fine. When I came to record the 'proper' bass track I thought I'd be clever & used my outboard compressor, his pedal, and a load of the Fostex's eq - the result sounded crappy. We went back to the simple original method - got a nice twangy bass sound, crisp and clear but plenty of low tone too.

I've had what I consider to be good results just plugging the bass directly into the fostex, but maybe I'm easily pleased! I certainly wouldn't attempt to mic up a bass cab, I would think thats a very difficult thing for a home recording enthusiast to achieve succesfully.

Anyway, the point you made about the mix and guitar/bass problem is something I do now routinely. I cut the bass frequencies for the guitar using the fostex low end eq in order to leave the 'space' for the bass in the mix. Further, for the bass itself I 'scoop out' the mids a little using the fostex eq to leave more space for the guitar/keyboard.

Incidently, these are all tips which I picked up on this and other discussion groups, I have learned so much from all you kind people who share your knowledge :-)

Back