VF160 as live mixer

Double Daddy

I play upright bass in jazz combos ranging from duo (piano, bass, vocal) to sextet (same, plus drums and horns). I have fumbled with a Foxtex X-12 to do live recording from my PA mixer-out, but am not happy because it is single-track recording and I am at the mercy of luck to get good levels (i.e., no re-mix possible).

The VF160 looks interesting, as it has enough analog inputs a 8-track simultneous to do live recordings, then remix later (bring the horns up or down, etc. as necessary). I'd like to use it as my live PA mixer as well.

Does the VF160 work well as a dual-purpose live mixer and recorder?

That's one of the many different ways that you can use it. Just plug a cord from the line level output to power amp as you would with any other mixer. The line level output has RCA connectors so you might need an adapter to connect to 1/4" or XLR jacks on your power amp.

PeteHalo - The VF160 .PDF brochure shows two 1/4" "monitor out" jacks on top, next to the "headphone out". Think I could use that to my power amp? (I already have a 1/4" TRS plug to XLR for my current mixer-amp connection). If so, I wouldn't need to get an adapter for the RCA "Master Stereo Out" from the VF160 to the amp.

My mistake, of course you can use the monitor outputs. In fact I use them to feed my active subwoofer while the main output feeds my active monitors.

Back