VF16: Computer editing

chiledude

As this will be my first time out with a hard disk recorder, how hard would it be to send individual (or two tracks for stereo signals) to a computer via the digital outs on the VF16, edit, and then send back to the VF16 again? Is there some way to put the track back into its original position (without losing the timing) or an easy way to shift tracks forward or backward to line it up with the other tracks once it is brought back from the computer?

I'm thinking of using CoolEdit 2000 as an editor and wondered if this would be a reasonable option.

Thanks!

pc to vf16 link

use a pc card with an adat interface. the ones sold with cubase are good. they even have 3x 8 in adat.
i will use it to link pc with vf16 and korg 168 dig mixer.
use cubase for finaledit and cd burn / backup.

a lot cheaper an d faster than looking for the correct haerware that hooks up to vf16

johan

ADAT sound card (for JVDW)

Thanks for the input about using an ADAT card. Do you know the make of the card you mention and if it has ADAT out as well (so you can move the wav files back to the VF-16)? (Is it the Frontier card?)

I didn't understand your reference to 3X8. Does this mean you move eight wav files at once to the pc? (What does the 3 represent?)

Are there any synch problems once the files are on the PC? (It occurs to me that the larger a wav file is, the longer it takes a pc to open it, so there could be understandable synch problems if a large and small wav file are both supposed to start up at once in the first bar of a song...)

Sorry to have so many questions, but I hate to buy a card before knowing what it can do, and the sales people and specs on the box don't always provide the info we need. Thanks again.

The card has 3 pairs of adats so in one time you can send and receive 24 channels.
the vf16 can only send 8 channels at a time.
These are not .wav files, the are digital audio (adat format). don't know exactkly the format, but i already use it to link a pc with KORG 1212 i/o card ( 1 par of adat) to a Korg 168 rc digital desk.
My Korg 1212 card crashed - need to repace it or have it fixed - but i connected my korg digital desk via adat to the VF-16 and as such had 16 audio channels that i can record and monitor at the same time.
the card i am planning to buy noz is a RME 9524 or sonmething , anyway it is the same card that steinberg uses in its studio package. it has the 3 adat int ( hence 24 channels simultaneous io) with wordclock ...

budget is around 500 pounds sterling. For this you can chose to use the card and the VF-16 to do direct to PC recording, or you can record on VF-16 and afterwards transfert (replay) digitally from VF-16 to Cubase (or whatever soft) , do postediting and CD burning , archiving, the works.

Sound more flexible than buying a dedicated CD-RW. But i do already have the pc, soft and CDRW .

I did get quite some headaches with the pc story.

good luck

Always welcome to hear anyone who is using this setup>

regards
johan

Back