VF-16 Question: Buss Record

mic98

Because the manual doesn't go into detail on this, I'm trying to figure this out: If I'm recording from mainly stereo sources and just one instrument at a time, could I use the same two inputs every time and just keep selecting different
tracks to record to? (maintaining odd and even tracks for
left & right) This would save a lot of $$$ on patch cables.
Any help on this would be great and also it's been WAY TOO QUIET on VF-16 stuff here lately!
Adam

bussing

Hi all and especially mic98!
I´ve been monitoring this excellent site for a couple of weeks and now decided it´s time to join.

I´m gonna buy a VF-16 soon and I´m also curious how the bussing is working out, especially at mixing. Can you gruop tracks to a bus or to you have to bounce them to a stereo track?
I don´t know yet if you can route the input signal to different tracks but I would be very surprised (and dissapointed...) if you can´t.

Ok, let´s keep the VF-16 forum alive ´cause it sure is needed considering the manual being written in
Japanenglish...

Giggsy

tracking

mic98, I think the answer to your question is yes, you can use the same inputs,if you are in buss mode. just go through the record setup as usual and when its tim to assign the record track,chose the tracks you want to record.
while I'v got you're attention,can you tell me how the aux send hookup works? if you want to help out on this, please go to the thread I started in "NEWBIES". check it out. CALO

Calo, if I read the question correctly, then you are right about the buss recording. I haven't had a chance yet to try the aux send, although I did buy the adaptor over the weekend.
Mic 98, you can simply change the record assign tracks and leave the inputs where they are.
Sorry Giggsy, haven't done any mixing yet either.. I've only had the unit a week, and like I was warned, there is a steep learning curve... not so easy to plug in and record right out of the box. That's probably why this forum has been so quite... Fostex recently sent out a shipments of the VF-16 and everybody that got one is playing with it, trying to figure it out! So far what I've been able to do has worked out great.

giggsy,I'm not shure what you mean by"group tracks to a buss". It may be that I'm just not up on the terminology{all that tech talk gives me the willies}. anyway,I proved to myself today, that you can assign different tracks from the same input,though I it was a mono signal. i've recorded two songs with the VF16, and aside from the aux problem,it works well. there's still alot it can do that I have not gotten to yet{and may never even need}. I,m happy to share what little I do know about using it,and will no doubt be looking to you guys for assistace on other aspects of it....... I,ve got two songs on garageband.com listed under Francine Calo{band}. go and give it a listen.{these two were recorded on my 424MKII,before I got the VF16}

I had trouble with the aux send too. Someone from this forum finally explained that you have to bring the signal back from your effectsunit through channels 15 and 16 after rerouting the signal path in the VF-16 to accomplish this. Unfortunately you must then sacrifice channels 15 & 16 leaving only 14 tracks. I think someone forgot to design aux returns in the VF-16.

It is sad that Fostex cut corners by not giving users dedicated aux returns. If you use a lot of effects it might be neccessary to buy a small mixer. I like to run keyboards and guitars through cheap floor pedals anyway. Analog effects kick ass.

bussing again

Calo!
I meant that for instance if you´ve got 6 tracks of drums that you wanna fade/mute for a few seconds in a mix it would be helpful if you can assign the 6 tracks to a stereotrack (previously unused) for easier handling, only having to deal with 2 faders instead of six.
Maybe this can be done by using the 'mix scene automation'?

Yeah, the non-existing aux returns sure are a 'budget-bummer'...

Glad to hear that Fostex are shipping some more units out.
It´s a drag being here in the north of Europe waiting for them to come in...

Giggsy

aux

OK, I think I get it. can you take me through the procedure for that? rerouting the signal path? I tried that' but must not have been doing it correctly. I think I'm getting close though. treat mr like the newbie that I am. gigs, I have yet to try that,but I think you can do this. let me try that and get back to you.

[Edited by calo on 08-21-2000 at 12:34]

Hi Y'all, I've been following the VF-16 stuff in this Forum for awhile. Well, I just got my VF-16 yesterday! WOW, I just sat and stared at it for awhile. I've been planning to buy digital multitrack for years. Personally, I'm not going to complain too much about the corners Fostex cut in this unit - it kept the price down to an amazing level for 16 tracks, w/ built-in effects. I gotta agree that the learning curve on this thing is rather steep. And why couldn't they have had an American proof-read the manual before they printed it?? Jeez. I'm not fluent in Japenglish. It just makes the learning curve steeper. I'll be back...

ureka!!!!

I've done it, I,ve managed to connect external effects, push all the right buttons,and the darn thing worked! Then I went about trying to notate the procedure....(my head nearly exploded) I'll try to explain...
1. hook aux send to external effect using a TRS to a Y cord
(you can go to two mono or one stereo device(s))
2. connect effect out to input(s)(A ~ H)
3. press input button
4. select your input (A ~ H)corresponding with the one you've plugged your effect device into,also select input for any instruments,etc.
5. press source button
6. select inputs again
7.press rec.trk button and select track to which you want to record
8. press aux1/2 button
9. select input or track that you want to effect. raise aux sen level to taste.
10. press RECORD button to monitor sound

Now, I think this is correct, but you may be able to come up with a more efficiant way to do this. just trying to explain this is making my head explode.
LATER...CALO

In case this helps anybody... that "TRS to a Y cord" is called an INSERT CABLE. It's got a TRS stereo jack on one end, but goes into 2 mono jacks. They're used on mixers that usually have INSERT jacks for each channel. The signal from that channel is send out the insert cable, into an effects unit and back into the mixer again on the same cable. In the VF-16 it carries 2 signals out, Aux 1 and Aux 2.

Back