VF-16: Is the CR300 Best?

mic98

I was just about set on getting a jaz drive and an internal, PC CD-burner when I remembered hearing good
things about Fostex's own CR300. I used to think spending $800 for this wasn't worth it, but when you consider the
cost of a jaz drive ($350), jaz disk ($100), special cable to connect it to VF-16 ($50) and a CD burner ($399), it begins to make a lot of sense.
I'd like to know if the CDR300 owners out there who have used it with the VF-16 have had success and/or any problems.
Also if anyone uses another device with good success I'd like to hear about it.
The only problem I can see with the CR300 is that I want to be able to make CD's containing about 5 or 6 songs recorded with the VF-16 and then duplicate them. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Adam "mic98"

hi mic,i have a vf-16...and i also just purchased a cd -r (tascam cd-r700) i could be wrong but im 95% sure you cant back up vf-16 data on a cd-r. as far as backing up goes you can just replace the entire hard drive for less than it would cost for a Jazz. it explains how to do this in the manual. so if you ever need to remix those songs you can just stick the old drive back in. as far as the fostex cd-r goes im sure its a good machine,but i cant see it having much more to offer than a tascam cd-r700 unit which is only $600.

hope ive been some help

I have both the VF-16 and the CR300. They're both really new and I don't have a whole lot of experience with them yet. I was going to get the Tascam CD-RW700, which is also a great unit, when the salesman steered me toward the CR300. Basically the difference is just in the inputs and outputs. The CD-RW has more like "Consumer" inputs & outputs, while the CR300 has "Professional" inputs & outputs. The VF-16 will do a data backup to a CDR of all 16 tracks, actually all 24 tracks if you want the ghost tracks, too. I haven't done it yet, but if I read it correctly it records the track 2 at a time in real time. That means if you save all 16 tracks it'll take 8 times the running time of the song. I've recorded stuff in stereo to the CD300 from the VF-16 with a digital optical cable and it worked just fine. Like I said, I don't have much experience with them yet.

interesting..i hope you can back up to cd-r. have you tried it yet? because in the manual (page 80)it talks about backing up to DAT,ADAT,and ZIP...i guess ill give it a try,but i see what you mean about the 2 tracks at a time...ughhh...anyways i guess ill give it a try and report back

ok i tried saving to cd-r and it seemed to be working..but when i tried to load the data the vf-16 would not lock up with the cd-r. like i said the manual says the only digital back up is DAT or ADAT..this sucks

Did you check out the instructions on pages 82-85 on saving & loading data using the S/PDIF connections? Fostex info on the CR300 definitely says that it'll do data backup from the VF-16. I don't have anything over 2 tracks yet in my VF-16, so I can't experiment with it yet.

hey neptune...i finally got to talk to a fostex tech...and he said you can back up to cd-r...but only with the cr300 burner...pretty shitty for the rest of us huh? it doesnt make alot of sense...digital is digital...but oh well what can ya do?

Wow, the manual doesn't say a word about it having to be the CR300. OK for me because that's what I have. Not OK for anyone who has something else. It should have been specific about something like that.

VF-16 and CR300 are compatible

Just thought I'd put in my two cents- I have the CR-300 which I bought to backup DMT-8VL data. Now that I have the VF-16 I use the CR-300 with it and it works flawlessly.

Back