vf-16 backup

EVT

Hi,

I have the vf-16 and have been backing up to a zip drive through the scsi port. 250mb disks don't even save one song.. so disks are too expensive.
I know about the Plextor PlexWriter PX-W1210TSE/SW CD-RW Burner. I don't want to spend on that.
I tried getting the zips into my computer to see if I could archive onto cd's but the computer doesn't read the disks.
I am getting some hiss now on my vf-16 and it seems like it's on its way out. So, I was thinking about getting the updated vf-16x...I know that it's internal cd drive can burn final mixes as well as backup.
But, what I have a problem with is that the new vf-16x doesn't have a scsi port so I won't be able to upload my zips onto it. I was wondering if I would be able to upload the zips back into my vf-16 and then hook it up optical into the vf-16x and save individual tracks/scenes (backup) onto there.. because from there I would be able to save onto cd's as backup. ????
thanks
evt

When you say 'the computer doesn't read the disks' - it should, if you are saving in WAV format. The other way to save is FDMS3 (Fostex backup format) but the PC won't read that format.
To save WAVs on the Fostex you have to format the disks to FAT16 on the PC first (sometimes just called FAT in Windows). Of course this assumes that you have a Zip disk connected to the PC.
This should work and will allow you to transfer between the VF and the outside world!
You could link the old VF to a new machine to transfer tracks by sync'ing the two VFs together, but you will not be able to transfer scenes by this method. (This also applies to transfer via Zip/WAV).

You could try to find an earlier VF160 for sale, complete with SCSI port!

'Orc

wav. format

Thanks for the info.
But, if I save in wav. format, will that save individual tracks recorded?
If I were to link the vf-16 to a new vf-16x through optical, will it transfer the individual tracks?
evt

If you save as wav, then you can specify which tracks get transferred. Therefore you can save say tracks 1-8 of a song onto the 250mb zip. Transfer that to computer. Go back and save 9-16...etc. etc. Slower, but then you dont have to get a new drive.

Or, you could try a SCSI Jaz drive which is a GB or so I think.

If you get a new machine, I think you would be able to transfer the data via the optical - I've done this from a vf16 to a VF80.

Tube

If you have a second Zip on the PC then you can be loading disk #1 while the Fostex is saving to disk #2. I actually find this quicker than via the internal CD writer on my VF160, although it is a little more work on my part. You can get more than 8 tracks sometimes; a 250 Zip disk will hold about 6 minutes of 8 track (or 3 minutes of 16 track!).

If you transfer via ADAT it will take one real-time pass of the song for every 8 Tracks. So, for example, a 4 minute song would have to be played through twice to transfer 16 tracks, and played through 3 times to transfer all 24 tracks. On top of this you have to set up the two machines to sync together as master and slave, and you for each play of the song you have to exchange tracks so that the set of 8 you want to transfer are always in bank 9 to 16 in the sending machine. They are always recorded into bank 1 to 8 on the receiving machine, but banks can then be swapped to put them where you want them.

'Orc

Jaz drives rule!

I use a 2Gb external drive with the VF16 and usually get one 5-6 minute song per "save" . I then pop it into the internal 2Gb drive in the computer and save the .wav's to disk. Could not be easier. And fast. Jaz drives are getting cheaper all the time on Ebay -- check it out.

Hiss

I didn't mention this on my original post because I was dealing with the backup thing first, but I have been hearing hiss on some tracks when i've been plugging into the vf-16. I had my eyes on the new vf-16ex, and I couldn't resist. I just like the idea of the backup, and final mixes being done directly from the cd drive. I know how to use the vf-16 really well, so there shouldn't be that much more to learn. I'm going to start recording a new cd, and I thought the other one was acting up with hiss and I didn't want it to break down in the middle of me recording. I had the vf-16 for like 4 years or so. I've used it a lot and I remember sending my first fostex .. a 4 track back in the day to get fixed, and it took like 6 months to get it back, and then it still was messed up. So, I just ordered one from musician's friend. It was on sale for 799.99 .. i got the credit card, minimum payment, 0 interest for 12 months. So i'm exited to get that, i'm going to hold on to the things i have recorded in my old one along with the zip disks and zip drive in case i need anything for editing or reference. But, from now on, i'll be saving on cd's... I can't wait to get it! :D

Back