tips on recording a live band with fd-8

Quater-inch-Lug

a local band in my area asked me if i could record a live show for them... i know i can only record 2 tracks at once but i didnt know if it would be best to bring them into the fd-8 through there p.a. mixer on 2 chanels or if i should try to mike everything (up to 8 inputs) and rercord those inputs to the 2 tracks (left & right)....im new to the game and i enjoy experementing but i thought someone may have some advice to share that would help me get a decent recording for them....any helpful advice is much appriciated.....

1/4"lug,

I think it depends on what type of sound you want to wind up with. You could just do a stereo recording with 2 mics at about 20 ft. from their PA stacks. That's one type of sound. If you record off from their mixer, you will have to use some headphones to monitor closely what the balance is through the mixer. This can get fairly decent results but you will want to use headphones that can also block out some of the external sound. We always recorded live in stereo because you can hear what the mix is from the stacks and what you hear is what you get.
The best thing to do, is to make recordings both ways and let the band decide which setup they like best.........
Good luck.........

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quater-inch-Lug:
a local band in my area asked me if i could record a live show for them... i know i can only record 2 tracks at once but i didnt know if it would be best to bring them into the fd-8 through there p.a. mixer on 2 chanels or if i should try to mike everything (up to 8 inputs) and rercord those inputs to the 2 tracks (left & right)....im new to the game and i enjoy experementing but i thought someone may have some advice to share that would help me get a decent recording for them....any helpful advice is much appriciated.....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back