tempo with MR8

daav

Flailing up a storm.
Newb question:
Hey, been playing around with my MR8 and having a hard time with using the tempos correctly. Do most of you use the click track to pace your recordings. Along the same lines, do you use the bar-counter as well. Or do most just hit record and pace the songs against the first tracks they record?

Lastly, are there 'standard' tempos that I am unaware of? I'm wondering if everyone else in the free world jsut happens to know to set the thing to 64 for a lsow song of something?

THanks,
Daav

hey Daav,

i just record a simple drum beat direct from my keyboard onto trk 3 (real drums go on 1 and 2) then put down bass or guitar so i can track the kit against that.

hope that helps!

Daav,
I have a hard time "hearing" the click track like I would a normal instrument. It's a real struggle for me to follow it, but I do use it. I set the click for the tempo that I normally play the song, if the click is too fast or too slow, I adjust it until it's right. I don't use the signature map....my music is not that complicated.

bd

Thanks for the input folks, I seem to be doing the same thing with the click track, good to know my flailing is not much worse than the standard.

Daav

bdbdbuck said:
Daav,
I have a hard time "hearing" the click track like I would a normal instrument. It's a real struggle for me to follow it, but I do use it. I set the click for the tempo that I normally play the song, if the click is too fast or too slow, I adjust it until it's right. I don't use the signature map....my music is not that complicated.

bd

You know it is funny you mention that. When I set the click for our collab song, I had to insert a 5/4 measure for your first fill. Yes you are that complicated:) It helped me learn a lot more about this thing.

clif

Clif,
I knew that was out, that's why I started that fill where I started it, but when I did the conversion, ie bounce to 7/8 the click track left. Truth be known, that's why I had a problem picking up the click and had to slow down. I had no idea it was 5/4!!! DOH!!

bd

Now that I think about it and count it out, you're right. I don't know why I didn't catch that.

bdbdbuck said:
Clif,
I knew that was out, that's why I started that fill where I started it, but when I did the conversion, ie bounce to 7/8 the click track left. Truth be known, that's why I had a problem picking up the click and had to slow down. I had no idea it was 5/4!!! DOH!!

bd

Now that I think about it and count it out, you're right. I don't know why I didn't catch that.

No prob I kinda like it. It's cool when you write music that turns out to be more complex than you thought. Call it a stroke of genious.

clif

Back