RUN RUN RUN to AMS for MR8! (In stock?)

YES! It is a good machine!

But none of us know if it will appropriately accommodate YOUR particular needs.

Because with the looooooong list of pros this machine has, it comes with small list of cons as well (which are usually out-weighed by the pros; but still!).

What are you looking for in a stand-alone digital multitracker?

jollylama: Transfer to a cd burner without getting it to a PC first? Because the MR8's best friend is a PC! But if you want to cut the PC out of the equation, check out the VF80.

Yes it does. Amongst quite a few other things that the mr-8 doesn't have.

But it doesn't work with a PC as easily as the mr8 does. Since the data is stored internally on the vf80 and the fact that it has no USB port, it seems more like a stand-alone unit. I'm sure you could transfer tracks somehow (like burning em each to a cd singlely and tracking them on your computer). It all depends on your needs.

jollylama said:
if the vf80 has a burner, there should be no need to transfer to a pc, or am I missing something

Missing something=Most people send their tracks to their PC and mix them in Software Programs like N-Tracks,Cool Edit,etc.....these programs have far superior EQ and effects capabilities than the stand alone units do.

I own a Fostex VF 16 and send my tracks to the PC for this purpose.

With that in mind, I could just download (and pay for) Ntrack and save a step or two. Considering it is just me and I only record one thing at a time

jollylama said:
With that in mind, I could just download (and pay for) Ntrack and save a step or two. Considering it is just me and I only record one thing at a time

You sound like a good MR-8 candidate. (Some people needed either space to hold more songs at once, or the ability to record a band live, etc. In those cases the hard drive on the VF80, or the multiple inputs on the VF16 make those more suitable choices.)

Again, depends on your needs. The MR-8 is so easy to use that it never "gets in the way" while making music, and works great with a PC. As for quality, just listen to some of the work people have posted.

I don't think I've seen a product that has such a high percentage of satisfied users - kind of explains the problem that places have keeping them in stock...

Plus, the MR-8 has been on the market long enough for debugging. I do understand boss is supposed to be releasing a new unit this month that will "up the ante" so to speak. Basically doing everything the MR-8 does but with more built in FX available.
Zoom is also coming out with a new HD based 8-track. It will have built-in CDR, FX, and drum machine with an MSRP which is already less than the price of the VF-80.
Both the Boss and the Zoom units will also come with USB ports.

Back