PC adaptor recommendation for the VM200

Jim Marquard

Yeah, take the ADAT card back and buy a recording card (lake Layla or a MOTU) that has the connection you want. If you check out the Alesis forum or run a search on the ADAT card you bought you will find not much else other than complaints. I think if you go to the computer and soundcard sections you will find a few alternatives for the price of the ADAT card.

Peace, Jim

I just bought a VM200 digital mixer. I also just bought an Alesis ADAT PCR. I am not sure that I did the right thing now with the Alesis card. It uses an ADAT 9 pin sync connector, and the VM 200 uses the BNC wordclock. I have recored to the ADAT/EDIT software, but(pop)it is not (crack) exactly working the way I (pop) had hoped. can someone please advise? i also have listed an earlier request for help on the Alesis topic page.

6string4u,

Have you looked at the RME Hammerfall card. It has WORD too. This maybe the way to go if you are running a Fostex setup. In addition the card has both Windows (NT/2000/9x) and Linux drivers and software links where one can download these software apps for Linux. I am not a exp. on any of these, but if I was to choose a card that looks as though it would work well with Fostex, I think this would be the best..
http://www.rme-audio.com

Their site has a few other good DA/AD interfaces that may be good to check out.

Other sites that look good: http://www.hoontech.com - check out there DSP cards and DA/AD DAC 2000's

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Rish, Jim,

Thanks, and no I have not looked at the RME product line. I will. I took the PCR card back. Until you mentioned RME,I was about to make a decision between a WavecenterPCI and a WavePro424 with ADAT otpion. The latter has the Word clock, but does not have S/PDIF. The former does both formats, but has no Word Clock. It looks Like RME and GadgetLabs has similar products. I need to trade this off and make a decision. The Wavecenter gets the edge on price. If I don't feel the need for Word Clock, I may probably go that way.

Appreciate your help, and any comments on these or other choices.

I just purchased a Fostex VM200 and already have the Gadget Labs WaveLab 8/24. I just purchased the ADAT option and had the same dilemma about the SPDIF connections.

Gadget Labs has a SPDIF option card but why bother? The VM200 already has the SPDIF connection (ex. your DAT is connected to the mixer). Your soundcard will be hooked up to your mixer via optical cable. You're now set. This way you avoid having to have a SPDIF option on the soundcard.

I haven't played around with this theory just yet but it should work.

This is a question for mbazini. I own a VM200 and a Gadget Labs 8/24. I just bought the ADAT daughter card. I can't get it to work no matter what I try. I'm stumped. Gadget Labs is stumped. They even sent me a whole new set-up to try. Still no luck. The error message I get when I try to open up the GL control panel is "Your initialization settings do not match the settings stored in the Wavepro Card". The ADAT I/O does seem to show up in the Multimedia settings under Control Panel, but if I select them the icon gets greyed out and if I try to reboot, the system just hangs. Help. I am desperate to get this system to work. Thanks.

I originally returned by 8/24 in exchange for a 4/24 + adat adaptor for budgetory reasons.

The 4/24 + ADAT wouldn't work. I fought with it, called Gadget Labs. And in the end, returned it.

I now work with the ADAT/EDIT card. It works great, right out of the box. The reason that people may experience pops and cracks is because they don't have the sync setting on.

VERY IMPORTANT: The VM200 MUST be set to INT Clocking, and the ADAT EDIT card MUST be set to EXT Clocking. This MUST be done manually by going into device manager for the card, and clicking the check box on.

Please let me know if this helps. It should -- I got the info directly from Alesis, and from Fostex.

Thanks, for the input. This has been a terribly dissapointing experience with Gadget Labs. Your comments basically have reinforced my suspicion that they have a very suspect product in the ADAT card. Maybe that is why it was on sale. Thanks again.

Back