N-Tracks or Audacity Sound Card???

PikeInTheWeeds

Do I need a sound card besides my integrated card in my motherboard (nVidia nForce),to run either of the 2 programs mentionedwith my MR-8??? If so,,any suggestions...I'm on a budget too!!!! :) Running Win XP pro, Athlon 2500+(1.8 ghz),with 1 gig DDR memory...

Thank you...

You'll be fine with the sound you already have. I've heard that the integrated sound on a motherboard like you have is better than some PCI soundcards.

Just go ahead and get both of the programs you mentioned and you will be set to go with wav editor (Audacity) and N-tracks (multi-track).

Card

What is the difference between Audacity and N-Tracks??? Would they be recommended for the fostex VF80 as well??? I may sell my MR-8 and upgrade...

Re: Card

PikeInTheWeeds said:
What is the difference between Audacity and N-Tracks??? Would they be recommended for the fostex VF80 as well??? I may sell my MR-8 and upgrade...

Audacity is a wav editor. I don't know what your amount of knowledge is on this, but I will go ahead and try to explain. When you transfer a track to your pc it will be a wav file. A wav editor allows you to do numerous things to a wav file. Like maximize volume, etc. etc. It will not allow you to load more than one stereo or mono track at a time. That is where the multi-track software (N-track) comes in. N-track allows you to load as many tracks of a song as you want and then mix them (make sure everything is balanced), eq, effects, etc.
For myself, I use Goldwave as my wav editor. I just find it easier to use than Audacity. Usually the only thing I use a wav editor for is if a track is a lot louder or softer than others and I will open it in Goldwave and maximize or lower the overall volume of the track. I also use it when I am finished with an entire project to even the volume on all songs. It will scan each song and tell you what the maximum volume is and the RMS volume.

Oh, and about upgrading to a VF80. I don't know if the VF80 has USB. So if your pc does not have the proper hookups you might have to spend a lot more money on a soundcard that has hookups that are compatible with the VF80.

Back