MR8 footpedal

cellardweller

Anybody use the footpedal?

Anybody used a footpedal other than the one peddled by Fostex?

I can't imagine that a normal ol' run of the mill temporary contact-type footpedal wouldn't work...but then again I'm cerebrally challenged in technical matters.....

Anybody got anything for me? What kind of 1/4 inch cable would it require?

Any foreseeable potential lethality to my MR8 (or myself)?

I used the pedal that came with my yamaha keyboard and it worked. Standard contact pedal. I didn't use it too much, only as an experiment, so I don't know of long term effects, but it worked. I don't do a lot of punch in. If I messed something up I am more prone to just start over. Unless it's something like an inadvertant throat clearing by the singer. I did a punch in to erase that rather than monkeying with the wave form. Somebody suggested the $5.00 pedal from Radio Shack. It needs an 1/8" adaptor AND a standard 1/4" adaptor to work though... And yes, it's a standard 1/4" plug. Hope this was useful. I'm tired..... :o

Rokket said:
I used the pedal that came with my yamaha keyboard and it worked. Standard contact pedal. I didn't use it too much, only as an experiment, so I don't know of long term effects, but it worked. I don't do a lot of punch in. If I messed something up I am more prone to just start over. Unless it's something like an inadvertant throat clearing by the singer. I did a punch in to erase that rather than monkeying with the wave form. Somebody suggested the $5.00 pedal from Radio Shack. It needs an 1/8" adaptor AND a standard 1/4" adaptor to work though... And yes, it's a standard 1/4" plug. Hope this was useful. I'm tired..... :o

I don't do a lot of punching in/out either. But occasionally, there is that 2 second part of the guitar that differs from the other tracks...

Usually I just re-do the part, but damn I wish I could just cleanly punch in and out...

I hear you. Setting up the A/B points is a bitch. I tried it to learn it, and gave up. Unless you set it perfectly, you botch it. But, you can just "undo" and try it again. If you have the patience. "I have no patients, I'm not a doctor!" Huh? Where'd that come from?

a/b points are a bitch, you aren't phucking kidding!

I always just re-do the track, sometimes it turns out worse than the original!

cellardweller said:
a/b points are a bitch, you aren't phucking kidding!

I always just re-do the track, sometimes it turns out worse than the original!
Yeah, had a couple where the original fire and inspiration were gone when I redid it. Technically, the redo was better, but the passion was gone. :(

look guys its really easy

play track, at point before you want to punch in hit locate a and hit store at the same time, try and make it between notes or words, at point to stop punch in, past the mistake in a part with no notes or words, hit locate b store at the same time....

arm track to record,advance track to a few min before the punch in hit auto punch in button, hit play and record at the same time, play along with the track the record button will light up when recording and stop when the punch in is complete.....

there is a rehure and punch in mode make shure it says punch in on the displayand not rehearse, just hitting play is rehurese, hiting play and record at the same time is punch in...

Last edited:
You make it sound so easy :confused:

I just reprinted a copy of manual last night, I haven't been able to find my original for some time. Of course my son has already torn two pages out of it, but nothin' a little tape can't fix. I'm gonna have to give this another try...

non-latching

if you use a pedal to punch in and out, make sure if you order one it is a "NON-LATCHING" or momentary foot switch.

if you use a regular latching switch, it can cause a boot up problem on the machine.

radiorickm said:
if you use a pedal to punch in and out, make sure if you order one it is a "NON-LATCHING" or momentary foot switch.

if you use a regular latching switch, it can cause a boot up problem on the machine.
Good point. That's why the Yamaha pedal I have works. It's intended to be the dampening pedal for the keyboard and it's non-latching.

Dave, thanks for the tips. I've read how to do it in the manual, but you hit on the finer points the manual doesn't.

punch in

I have more success with locate a/b than with the pedal. I'm bad on late punch outs when trying to play at the same time. If the b point is set I can worry about playing rather than timing my punch out.

pjh6467 said:
I have more success with locate a/b than with the pedal. I'm bad on late punch outs when trying to play at the same time. If the b point is set I can worry about playing rather than timing my punch out.
I am going to mess with the a/b points some more and see how it turns out. No sense having a feature I don't use. I am a pretty basic guy, though. I don't like complicated gizmos with massive learning curves. Give something simple and let me create. That's why l like my MR-8 so much. It's simple. And it's red.....

Back